Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual battery selection

Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have dual yellow top optima and I love them!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cold
Same Here Dual Yellow Optima's .. No Problems ..
Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a lot of research on batteries, and had the same question. Though I can't remember the source, doh! I do, clearly remember, being told to avoid marine batteries for a very particular reason.... I just don't remember what it was.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nwapache
I did a lot of research on batteries, and had the same question. Though I can't remember the source, doh! I do, clearly remember, being told to avoid marine batteries for a very particular reason.... I just don't remember what it was.

May have been because the warranties used to stink on them. I prefer them because of the extra posts and they are made to be bumped around.

Last edited by HBC; 12-27-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I read in several threads in different forums and also in website that marines are very good for the deep cycle. That is, they can be abused more than the standard auto batteries.

As for start-up power, the marine engines are not even bigger than auto engines? I would understand temperature tolerance, since we do not experience so much temperature variation at the sea as in inland.

So, I'm still undecided on which type to use when I install a dual battery system in my Jeep.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

The only real difference between a marine battery and a standard battery is that a marine battery can be run down further without damaging the battery.

Think of the typical application for a "marine" battery. It's made for fishermen to run their boat trolling motors for long periods of time, where the battery will be discharging for a long period of time while not being recharged at the same time by an alternator. These same batteries will also sit in the boat for long periods of time without being charged, therefore gradually losing charge over that period of time.

"Deep Cycle" basically means that the battery can run down to a 20-30% of the full capacity charge without damaging the battery. In comparison, a standard battery can be run down to 50% of full capacity charge without being damaged. The key point is that if you run a battery down too far past those charge capacity levels, the battery will not recharge to it's full capacity and will eventually die. All other things in regards to CCA and such are pretty much equal.

So really, it's up to you to decide on how you're going to be using the battery. If you're going to be using the battery for long periods of time while not having your JK running (thus the battery being recharged at the same time), then a Marine is probably best for you. If not, then a standard battery will do just as fine.

Personally, I purchased a Marine battery...it didn't cost much more than the same standard battery and I have the extra assurance that if I ever run my battery down past the 50% full charge level, that I'm not going to kill my battery. The Marine also came with 2 extra posts to connect accessories to, which is nice also.

If you're going to run a dual battery setup, it is usually recommended by the manufactures of these devices, that you use matching batteries.

Typically, a Marine battery takes longer to recharge to full capacity, which only makes sense because it can be run down further. So if you only drive short distances a standard battery might be better for you.

The more important aspect of purchasing a battery for your JK, is that it is wise to buy an AGM (Gell Cell) battery. The AGM batteries will typically give you more CCA's for the same size battery and will be able to handle any offroad use that you may do. That's because there isn't any plates inside of them, that can bang together, causing internal shorts when you hit bumps, which can damage the battery. The Sears diehard platinum series and Optima batteries mentioned in this thread are both AGM batteries.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-28-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HBC
I used to have the same opinion on Optima, but now even their marine batteries have a two-year full replacement on them. As long as they keep this type of warranty, I'll keep them running in mine. Before the warranty changed I lost some money on them, but I couldn't be happier now.
Originally Posted by Cold
Originally Posted by gadget799
Same Here Dual Yellow Optima's .. No Problems ..
Consider your self lucky since they have moved their operations down to Mexico their quality control has gone down hill. This glass mats are only secured to the top and not bottom and top. The Yellow (deep cycle) and Blue have very little differences other than yellow my have higher CCA.

Seriously look in to Odyssey way more battery for the money esp when you consider the large size battery 07-11 jeep guys can use.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The only real difference between a marine battery and a standard battery is that a marine battery can be run down further without damaging the battery.

Think of the typical application for a "marine" battery. It's made for fishermen to run their boat trolling motors for long periods of time, where the battery will be discharging for a long period of time while not being recharged at the same time by an alternator. These same batteries will also sit in the boat for long periods of time without being charged, therefore gradually losing charge over that period of time.

"Deep Cycle" basically means that the battery can run down to a 20-30% of the full capacity charge without damaging the battery. In comparison, a standard battery can be run down to 50% of full capacity charge without being damaged. The key point is that if you run a battery down too far past those charge capacity levels, the battery will not recharge to it's full capacity and will eventually die. All other things in regards to CCA and such are pretty much equal.

So really, it's up to you to decide on how you're going to be using the battery. If you're going to be using the battery for long periods of time while not having your JK running (thus the battery being recharged at the same time), then a Marine is probably best for you. If not, then a standard battery will do just as fine.

Personally, I purchased a Marine battery...it didn't cost much more than the same standard battery and I have the extra assurance that if I ever run my battery down past the 50% full charge level, that I'm not going to kill my battery. The Marine also came with 2 extra posts to connect accessories to, which is nice also.

If you're going to run a dual battery setup, it is usually recommended by the manufactures of these devices, that you use matching batteries.

Typically, a Marine battery takes longer to recharge to full capacity, which only makes sense because it can be run down further. So if you only drive short distances a standard battery might be better for you.

The more important aspect of purchasing a battery for your JK, is that it is wise to buy an AGM (Gell Cell) battery. The AGM batteries will typically give you more CCA's for the same size battery and will be able to handle any offroad use that you may do. That's because there isn't any plates inside of them, that can bang together, causing internal shorts when you hit bumps, which can damage the battery. The Sears diehard platinum series and Optima batteries mentioned in this thread are both AGM batteries.

I've been leaning towards the deep-cycle type.

Here's the reasoning: I do a lot of short drives if going to work (around 40min each direction). So, probably most of the time I'll have my batteries fully charged.

However, I want to have batteries that can be "abused" when I go offroad either by using electronics and/or electrical stuff longer without having to be worried about running engine often. When going offroad I'll run the engine longer, ergo should be able to fully recharge them.

So, I guess the main question is if spending more on a marine battery just for the peace of mind is a good justification. That is, how many low voltage abuses a normal battery can take before becoming unreliable?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just my 2 cents......

The more I researched, the more convinced I became that Odyssey was my best choice.
The use of pure lead as opposed to a lesser %, great CCA, as it is not unusual to see -40 here. Not sure many marine batteries
get out in that temp,( water freezing way before that!).
I remember reading somewhere that the US Air Force uses the Odyssey because it withstands vibration so well.
They weigh a ton, but I figure that is because they have so much lead in them.
They also maintain a high % of charge for long periods of time. My quad can sit for months in the cold, and still fire right up
with the turn of the key. A smaller Odyssey, but still lots of oomph.
As well, they have a pretty high reserve rating.
I have been running mine now for about a year and they continue to impress me.
I also like the fact that a sealed, glass mat battery doesn't get oxidization/corrosion on the posts.
I'm not saying that a marine battery is not a great battery, just do as much research as you can before deciding.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowJK
You need a certain isolator. I would get the die hard 34 group battery as its a odyssey rebrand battery. Pm and I can give you more spec. I can't post them on my
Phone
The Sears DieHard platinum is not a re-branded Odyssey. Odyssey is a brand name and the manufacture is EnerSys. EnerSys is now manufacturing the DieHard Platinum for Sears.
The Optima is also an AGM battery and is manufactured by Johnson Controls, although the plant that used to manufacture the Optima in Aurora Colorado has been shut down and the battery is now manufactured in Monterrey, Mexico.

For the OP, most manufactures recommend the use of like batterys when using a dual set-up.
As for types, the are three. The automotive starting battery, the marine battery, and the deep cycle battery. Although some use any one of these in the Jk, each has its purpose.
The automotive starting battery is pretty straight forward. Used for starting a vehicle it has thinner plates which provide a high burst of power required to start an engine. The marine battery has thicker plates and although it does not have the high burst for starting, the thicker plates allow for a longer capicity of power so it has a longer discharge rate. The deep cycle battery is normally used in industrail applications and farming operations and has the thickest plates, which allow for a longer discharge rate. It should be noted that in most marine and deep cycle applications batteries are normally used in sets or banks, to provide more power for starting equipment.
The newer AGM type, both sprial and non spiral although they do not have plates per se, still are manufactured in like manner as a plate battery.

Quick Reply: Dual battery selection