Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual Battery Questions

Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Battery Questions

Hey Guys,

I am going to be getting a Dual Battery setup. I am looking at the Painless Performance or Rugged Ridge wiring kits.

Questions.

1. Do you hook up your accessories to the 2nd battery or is it there only for backup?
2. What do the 3 switch positions do on the kits?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Vancouver, how is the weather? I'm looking at dual batteries as well. The second battery is for your accessories, the main battery is for all of your factory loads, plus starting of course. I'm not sure about the switch and it's function. I have been looking at the Cole Hersee smart battery isolator and custom cables.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen arguments for wiring up all accessories to the starting battery, and also hooking accessories up to the back up battery (except the winch).

The argument for hooking things up to the starting battery is that if you ever have a short in any of the accessories you will always have a fresh battery.

The argument for hooking accessories up to the back-up battery is that the accessories are what will usually short and kill a battery, so your primary starting battery will be safe.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marmot74
Hey Guys,

I am going to be getting a Dual Battery setup. I am looking at the Painless Performance or Rugged Ridge wiring kits.

Questions.

1. Do you hook up your accessories to the 2nd battery or is it there only for backup?
2. What do the 3 switch positions do on the kits?

Thanks!

Hey BC Brother - Super Simple Install and Setup .. most pieces you will need are available locally - Let me know if you need assistance im not far from you.. Cheerz

** Just Noticed you have a 2012 ... Im not sure they have a tray out yet for the 2012? .. Anybody know ??

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...0+dual+battery

Last edited by gadget799; 12-30-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Dual Battery Questions