Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Driving lights wiring Q: only turn on when high beams on

Old 09-26-2019, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving lights wiring Q: only turn on when high beams on

Subject says it all. I have the basic wiring diagram for my front driving lights, so, I get how to wire them as an independent circuit with a relay, and a dash switch. What I'd like to do is also limit the driving lights to only function when the high beams are on.

So, light matrix looks like this:

Low beams on: driving lights always off
High beams on: driving light switch is off, no driving lights
High beams on: driving light switch is on, driving lights are on.

How do I wire this up?
Old 09-26-2019, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

So why bother with a switch at all? For your relay, have your signal wire be the power to the high beam. High beams are on, lights are on. By driving lights, are you referring to an auxiliary light setup? Alternative would be put in a two position switch and wire it similar to reverse lights where you've got a master on/ off but in the "on" position, they only functional when the signal from the high beam is there.

I have Rigid rear backup lights that are configured this way but with a 3 position switch- on, off, and with signal. All positions work flawlessly with Rigid's diagram.
The following users liked this post:
LC Boyer (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Why would I want this? Because I only use the driving lights offroad,

Sounds like the 2 position switch is the way to do this. I'll take a look at Rigid's setup.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Actually, just realized I could splice the power for the switch to the high beam power wire. Duh. Nvm.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I don't think I'd splice right into that wire. Certainly go with a relay. The computer doesn't like when you do weird things to the electrical.

Driving lights can also be helpful when you've got your low beams on, but I also wheel with friends so they don't appreciate when I light up their mirrors. It's personal preference though.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I presume you're talking about LED lights you're wanting to link in. If that is the case, definitely don't go splicing into the high beam wiring IMO. Even when you use resisters they seem to fail often and those lights will just blink. Also though, I wouldn't want to tap into the factory wiring simply for liability reasons, but that's just me again. I'd much rather wire those up to a switch tbh, and most offroad lights are so dang bright you don't even need to use high beams....they just get washed out.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Uh, I think everyone missed what I said. the basic circuit for auxiliary lights uses a relay and a switch. Generally, I just wire the switch into a fused source for power, and then ground it. The third wire goes to the relay and turns on the lights. We're good so far.

So, if I want to only turn on the lights with the high beams, I could wire the power to the switch from the power wire going to the high beams. I can do this by splicing directly into the wire, or by tapping into the headlights switch fuse, or by tapping into the headlights circuit where they plug-in to the light. Either way, I can do it without cutting the original wiring, or doing any permanent damage to the wiring.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Since I missed your point then I'll move along. Good luck, safety first.

Quick Reply: Driving lights wiring Q: only turn on when high beams on