Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Door locking by themselves...

Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door locking by themselves...

Cliff notes below

I know I read a thread where someone said their doors locked by themsleves sometimes...

It was said in the thread that they must have accidently hit the lock switch on the way out. I noticed mine did this a few months ago. I unzipped the rear window and pushed the unlock switch up with a broom handle and the doors unlocked and I figure I must have hit the switch on the way out accidentally as I read in the other thread, I never really thought about it again...

WELL... yesterday I went to get into my Jeep and I noticed the doors were locked. I KNOW I didn't hit the switch this time because I went in the back door to get something before going inside. Anyway... I unzipped the rear window and used the broom handle to reach the door lock switch, however it would not unlock. If I pushed down it would make a noise like it's trying to lock but it was already locked. When I pushed up... nothing at all.
I used the broom handle to open the door by pulling the handle and the door opened, all the locks unlocked and the horn started going off.

I keep my keys in the Jeep because it's in a fenced in yard. I have a spare but I don't feel like going back upstairs to get it.

Both times this happened it was after a lightning storm.

CLIFF NOTES: The power locks can lock by themselves.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next you're going to tell us that it talks to you
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ivanko
Next you're going to tell us that it talks to you
You mean yours doesn't? I just assumed that was normal.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 AM
JK Freak

My jeep doesn't do this, but my old Toyota Celica did, it had an aftermarket alarm. The alarm system would auto lock the doors if you turned off the key and left it alone for 10+ minutes after getting out.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

So there is a Jeep parked with the keys in it in Piscataway,NJ? Interesting...
Old 09-10-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

my jeep has manual locks and one time i slamed the door and it locked but the passager door was unlocked.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

If you think that's bad, I had a faulty remote starter on an old vehicle that would let me drive around without the key in the ignition. That thing was freakin' POSSESSED!!!

Quick Reply: Door locking by themselves...