Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Don't just read it, respond too!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
1st--They gonna give ya the discount for non-stock DRL? I thought that maybe the discount was just if they were stock.

2nd--How would they know they're "switched" lights? Are they going to send someone out to verify you have DRL and if they do are they going to search the Jeep up and down looking for the switch? Just put a relay and switch in and when they come to "look" at it, hide the switch behind the dash where they can't see it.

Just an idea.
1st yes, statefarm will rate your insurance based on what and how many "safety" features your vehicle has.

2nd they will know what I have when they require me to go to an inspection station. Not emissions inspection but an insurance inspection (similar to the place that is authorized to take insurance photos). They will have me go since DRL is not listed as a factory option.

For the record they are also permanent lights as they are the secondaries in the fab fours lifestyle bumper. Not a light that is simply screwed onto a mount.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horwitzs
Be careful about just throwing in a bigger fuse. Make sure the wiring is big enough also. You don't want to fry anything or start a fire by using too large a fuse.
Thanks, I'm always lectured by my friend who is an electrical engineer. He cringes every time I use 'scotch-locks'.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why make it so difficult, just go to the dealer and have them change the computer setting to turn on the DRL.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yelorubi-EVA

Thank you very much.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

seth you probably wont get the insurance discount if the company does not see it as a factory option.

just get an aev procal you can set it up and youll get bigger tires eventually so you will be able to calibrate your tire size for the speedo etc.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sethc84
Thanks, I'm always lectured by my friend who is an electrical engineer. He cringes every time I use 'scotch-locks'.
No prob, always happy to help the other Seth out there!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just use the AEV procal....less hassle....I can't believe anyone would WANT DRL's...I turned mine off (they come standard in Canada) so I could convert my headlights to HID's.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the Procal or go to the dealer and pay them $70-80 to program them.

I kept my Procal because I like the ease of programming the TPMS, even though I have the Flashpaq now. The insurance discount for activating the DRLs is going to pay for the Procal in about one year.

When I switch to something like HIDs, I will activate different lights for the DRLs. There are like 4-5 programmable options.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can use a relay from a switched power source to run the lights. The relay power wire doesn't need to be too large as it draws lees than than 1 amp to activate the relay coil. The feed to the lights needs to be a fused wire, preferably from the battery through the relay to the lights. Depending on the wattage you may need a larger wire but usually 10-12 gauge is plenty. Try to avoid crimps and scotch lock type connections and go with solder and heat shrink as you live in the land of salt in the winter.

Also, check into your state laws regarding auxillary lighting. Up here in Maine, the state requires all lights on a vehicle to function AND have a switch. I had a hard time getting a NEW truck to pass inspection because I had installed auxillary lights to use as DRL's instead of the original headlight DRL's.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah,only problem I see with tapping the lighter to use with a relay for the DRLs is that that way when you're sitting in the car listening to the radio, your lights are on... therefore alot faster drain on the battery. There are DRL kits you can get from auto stores (I know Canadian Tire has em) for like $30Canadian (~$20USD) that come with everything you need... but I would personally just go and get the computer flashed and enable the option, nice and clean install that way... Then again I already have DRL cause it's illegal here in British Columbia to have a vehicle 92 or newer without DRL (I know from when we were importing my dad's '93 Grand Cherokee as a gift from a friend in California... pain in the ass... had to have them added...)

Quick Reply: Don't just read it, respond too!