Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dome light wont turn off (only tailgate door)

Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome light wont turn off (only tailgate door)

Hello,
I am having an intermittent problem with my interior dome light not shutting off. I think I have it narrowed down to the tailgate area. When I open the tailgate for more than approx 30 seconds then shut it, the dome light will remain on. I have to open the driver door, put the key in the ignition and to to the "on" position, then I remove the key close the drivers door and all is well.
This happens about 70% of the time, but not always.
Any ideas?... the Jeep is a 2012 I have 3500 miles and the problem just started (I think) a couple of days ago. I do have an alarm system since day 1. I also just put on a hard top (about 2 days ago) but can't figure out how that would effect anything...
Old 07-08-2012, 10:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 or 4 dr? The rear dome light in a 4dr is a push button version. It will eventually turn off, but will stay on longer than the "normal" dome.
Since you just put on a hardtop, is your tailgate closing all the way?
Check the door wire harnesses to see if they're all seated firmly. A loose connection might keep your light on.
What happens when you turn the headlight switch to interior then off? Does it turn the dome on/off correctly?
Hope you find the problem. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Have you given the dome light time to shut itself off, after about 30 seconds?

I know on mine, if I open a door and shut it, the light will stay on a while. If I open a door, shut it, (the light remaining on), then open and shut another door, the light will go right out.

It has to do with the light remaining on when the computer thinks you are getting in to start, and turning off when it thinks you have just shut off the engine and exited the vehicle.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

To Clarify it is a 4 door, and both dome lights stay on. Yes I have waited approx 2 minutes and they are still on. I keep thinking it has something to do with the hard top since it was just installed but the rear door (tailgate) is shut, I have slammed it, pushed it etc and it does seem completely shut.
The strange thing is it does not happen all the time, mostly when I have the tailgate open for a minute or so (unloading/loading bags etc.. if I open and close it within about 10 seconds the lights go out...
All other doors seem to be working OK. The headlight switch/interior light switch also functions fine..
I will check the connections tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips
Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edmond
To Clarify it is a 4 door, and both dome lights stay on. Yes I have waited approx 2 minutes and they are still on. I keep thinking it has something to do with the hard top since it was just installed but the rear door (tailgate) is shut, I have slammed it, pushed it etc and it does seem completely shut.
The strange thing is it does not happen all the time, mostly when I have the tailgate open for a minute or so (unloading/loading bags etc.. if I open and close it within about 10 seconds the lights go out...
All other doors seem to be working OK. The headlight switch/interior light switch also functions fine..
I will check the connections tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips
Did you try Turning the switch for the dome lights. It's located on the blinker shaft behind the steering wheel.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, I have tried the dome light switch. it works fine and turns them on/off..

Quick Reply: Dome light wont turn off (only tailgate door)