Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

dome light mod.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dome light mod.

i am pondering getting another domelight that clicks on like in rear and replacing the one in the middle of the soundbar with the click on one. has anyone done this?? i did search and didnt come up with anything. they appear to be exact same style and size.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find out if they are the same size and style. If so, we can swap. I want to remove the clicker thingy. My Great Dane keeps hitting the back one with his head and it gets annoying since I can't override it. I even thought of wiring an override switch. If you want it and it's a simple swap, I'll send you my rear clicker light and you send my your middle non-clicker light.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Super Freak

They are interchangeable as far as size. The rear one has a third constant power wire that allows it to stay on. If you put it up front, then it either needs an constant hot, or you have a light that won't come on when you open the door unless you "click" it.
You can put the front one in the rear with no problem.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nclehmann
Find out if they are the same size and style. If so, we can swap. I want to remove the clicker thingy. My Great Dane keeps hitting the back one with his head and it gets annoying since I can't override it. I even thought of wiring an override switch. If you want it and it's a simple swap, I'll send you my rear clicker light and you send my your middle non-clicker light.
sounds familar!! my dane does the same!! driving at night on a road trip I had to get my wife to crawl back and turn it off atleast ten times!! I just taped it in the off position so it can't "click" anymore.. I still love him tho. especially when I get whipped in the nads by his tail. They really should crop their tails
Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I swapped my rear light to the front for a while but if i needed somethin out of the back at night i wouldve had to walk around to the front and turn it on so for my needs i just put it back the way it was, but the rear cargo light works just fine up front, try lookin at wyckoffmopar.com they are also a vendor on this forum if you need to pm them for questions, theyre very helpful, try them if youre looking for another oem rear cargo light to put up front.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi

that sounds like a plan to me. let me just see if it will work first. ill get back to ya.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
that sounds like a plan to me. let me just see if it will work first. ill get back to ya.
According to Ninja, it'll work, but will need a little modification on your part. You may need to route constant power to the dome light so that you can click it on at any time. You may just be able to tap it from the rear dome light and route it through the roll bars underneath the padding - shouldn't be too bad. Let me know - I can probably take my rear light out this weekend and ship it to you on Monday. PM me with your name and address and I'll send you mine if still interested.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did this when i first got my jeep, probably should have came from the factory like this....
i got a new one from the dealer it was around $25 if i remember correctly...
to get the click on click off to work you have to add a second power wire to light. I tapped into the wiring just past the soundbar (if that makes sense - it is on the outside of the grommet on the passenger side out side of the plastic of the soundbar). It was the yellow wire with the blue strip (same wire from the rear sound bar's click on click off light)

click on click off works perfectly and have not had problems since i did this last year this time...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Jedi

According to Ninja, it'll work, but will need a little modification on your part. You may need to route constant power to the dome light so that you can click it on at any time. You may just be able to tap it from the rear dome light and route it through the roll bars underneath the padding - shouldn't be too bad. Let me know - I can probably take my rear light out this weekend and ship it to you on Monday. PM me with your name and address and I'll send you mine if still interested.
i tried quickly to pop out the center one today so i could see whats involved, but i could not get it out. i am hopeing i dont have to drop the sound bar off to get it out.. tried to take lens off like u normally do to change a light but no go. i will definately swap with you i just need to get mine out. i was thinking the same thing as u said for the feed for it. NJBEACHRAT do u remember how the center dome comes out??
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

yes its pretty simple...just use a flat head screw driver and from the oposite side of where the hinge is (between the black and the clear lense) push it in slightly to get it off the small lip holding it in

Quick Reply: dome light mod.