Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Do you wire winch direct to battery?

Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you wire winch direct to battery?

I just installed my new bumper and Smittybilt Gen 2 X2O winch and the instructions tell you to ruin direct from the solenoid box to the battery, so I did. Today, a guy at work tells me that you can not do this and that my battery will die from constant drain.

What's the real deal, are most people implementing some custom cut out solenoid with a dash switch, or are the majority doing as I did and simply following the instructions and finding it to be trouble free?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strait to battery. That's what all install instructions tell you.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM
JK Freak

wire in a kill switch, if you just run it direct to the battery someone can unspool your winch, hook it to your rear bumper, and then winch it down to crush your top/windshield/hood. People are dicks. hence the inside the jeep dash mount switches to make it harder to do this if locked out of the jeep.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
wire in a kill switch, if you just run it direct to the battery someone can unspool your winch, hook it to your rear bumper, and then winch it down to crush your top/windshield/hood. People are dicks. hence the inside the jeep dash mount switches to make it harder to do this if locked out of the jeep.
are these jerks carrying winch controllers around with them? because that would be truly dedicated jerkness.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
are these jerks carrying winch controllers around with them? because that would be truly dedicated jerkness.
basically yup, as long as the controller plugs into the port it works, and the battery has enough juice to do some dmg. if you dont want to mount a switch in the cab, at the very least put a quick disconnect under the hood. or a key lock disconnect on the winch mount. these people are like the ones that go around cutting up soft tops and stuff, just out there to be malicious dinks.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We don't have that were I'm from. I don't lock house doors, my cars all set with the keys in them. I honestly don't worry about vandals or thieves out here. Now, there are towns near by that feature drugs, stabbings, shootings and the such.... but I've no reason to go into the ghetto and they have no reason to come out here.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:40 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Wow...sounds like you need to move down here to Kentucky, man.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1967009328.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	569696

Bypass switch installed. Somewhat for security, sonewhat as a safety in case the solenoid acts up and refuses to disengage
Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by larry0071
I just installed my new bumper and Smittybilt Gen 2 X2O winch and the instructions tell you to ruin direct from the solenoid box to the battery, so I did. Today, a guy at work tells me that you can not do this and that my battery will die from constant drain. What's the real deal, are most people implementing some custom cut out solenoid with a dash switch, or are the majority doing as I did and simply following the instructions and finding it to be trouble free?
Sounds like the guy at work doesn't know what he is talking about. You'll be just fine.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

basically yup, as long as the controller plugs into the port it works, and the battery has enough juice to do some dmg. if you dont want to mount a switch in the cab, at the very least put a quick disconnect under the hood. or a key lock disconnect on the winch mount. these people are like the ones that go around cutting up soft tops and stuff, just out there to be malicious dinks.
Seen it done with a flat head screwdriver when the controller broke. Kind of like on a solenoid. It was a simpler winch plug but it can be done. Forward and reverse.

Quick Reply: Do you wire winch direct to battery?