Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Do you wire winch direct to battery?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you wire winch direct to battery?

I just installed my new bumper and Smittybilt Gen 2 X2O winch and the instructions tell you to ruin direct from the solenoid box to the battery, so I did. Today, a guy at work tells me that you can not do this and that my battery will die from constant drain.

What's the real deal, are most people implementing some custom cut out solenoid with a dash switch, or are the majority doing as I did and simply following the instructions and finding it to be trouble free?

Old 08-04-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your buddy at work would be wrong. Wire it directly to the battery. There is no draw on it that would drain the battery while it's not in use.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Look at the current rating on your alternator and battery... then look at the draw from the winch. It should be pretty easy for the lay person to figure out.

As described in your winch manual and echoed by the previous poster, I think you should take advice from this co worker with a grain of salt.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There shouldn't be a drain on the battery unless the winch is being used. I have mine connected straight to the battery, but leave the wireless control unplugged to ensure there is no way the winch will use the power. I have never had a problem with this. You can however connect a safety cutoff switch/solenoid to connect and disconnect power for peace of mind.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Unless you have bad wiring in your winch solenoid you should have zero drain. I only plug in the controller when I need it, and am wired straight to the battery.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast
Veteran: Air Force

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is wired direct to the battery, but I know people who have an intermediate solenoid wired in.

Sounds like a good subject for a poll, direct vs. indirect.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Directly to the battery. No drain.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

I just hooked up my first winch.... My Buddy was concerned that the stock terminals were too light.... I hooked up without any problems so far.... I think I will add heavier terminals at some point.... But for now.... right to the battery with no issues....
Old 08-04-2014, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

The manual disconnects should be installed as close to the battery terminal as possible and are used as a safety mechanism, not really to remove any theoretical idle current draw. For example, if the vehicle is involved in a crash that severs the positive battery cable and it touches the metal frame/body, ugly stuff can happen. As well, although less likely, if there is an internal problem with the winch and it shorts out.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by syn-ack
The manual disconnects should be installed as close to the battery terminal as possible and are used as a safety mechanism, not really to remove any theoretical idle current draw. For example, if the vehicle is involved in a crash that severs the positive battery cable and it touches the metal frame/body, ugly stuff can happen. As well, although less likely, if there is an internal problem with the winch and it shorts out.
While what you are saying is true, with the battery being so close to the winch (i.e. cable length is short and protected), is this really something to worry about?

Probably a better (unfortunately more expensive as well), would be a high current fuse set inline with the winch positive laid close to the positive connection to power. Running a disconnect would either mean it would be useless or you'd create the need for the disconnect with the extra long positive lead. Both issues are due to placement. Seems silly to create a problem when none exists.

Quick Reply: Do you wire winch direct to battery?