Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Do you own Smittybuilt Air Compressor?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you own Smittybuilt Air Compressor?

Hey guys, I got the Smittybilt Air Compressor 2781. I also got under the hood bracket, which allows to place compressor under the hood :-).
On Memorial weekend I went camping and it was rainy and wet, though, not monsoon rain, just sprinkles. I was sitting under the canopy when I noticed strange sound and smoke coming out under the hood. I ran to the Jeep, opened the hood and realized that for some freak reason compressor came on and smoke comes out of it. I tried shutting it down, but nope, the button would not allow me to do so, it was not responding at all. I had to take the connection off of the battery for the compressor to shut down.

Anybody ever heard of this type of issue? There was no direct water contact with the compressor because hood was always closed and it is rather far away from the accidental water contact through hood gaps.

I wonder if these compressors are so bad that they spark simply from high humidity???
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default Do you own Smittybuilt Air Compressor?

Air support systems are used when you get a flat tire and do not have a spare tire available. With an air system, you simply hook it up to your car battery via alligator clips. Running this off your car battery allows you to save room, as these are big and take a decent amount of power to fully function. You do not need a separate battery since you can power it through your car battery. A 12-volt motor works perfectly.
The powerful units have an oil-less direct drive motor and can be permanently mounted and hard-wired so an air source is always available on- and off-road.

Features include a screw-on brass inflator top, quick-release coil hose, anti-vibration feet, an automatic thermal cutoff switch to protect the motor against overheating, a cleanable air filter and storage bag.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the MaxFlow version of the MV-50. Like you, I have it installed underhood and though it is now hard wired with a remote switch, I had it installed with the alligator clamps.

Possibilities for the unit to turn on by itself are slim.. mainly a short internal, at the switch which might explain why you couldn't turn it off. Were you direct to the battery? No relay?

I would disassemble the compressor switch. My bet is the switch is fried. Why that happened is beyond me.

The question I had is how you didn't hear it turn on.. My compressor is loud and there is no way it could run long enough to start smoking without me hearing it.

Anyway, if the switch is toast, just by-pass it with an external switch and relay.. assuming the compressor is still good.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

My arb came with a pressure shutoff. Look into it. That would keep it from continuously running if you accidentally hit the switch.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stockrubi
My arb came with a pressure shutoff. Look into it. That would keep it from continuously running if you accidentally hit the switch.
Don't know if the OP has a tank or not.. if the compressor isn't attached to something.. tire, tank.. It would never build pressure to shut off. I have three different coiled hoses and non have sealed chucks.. they all need to be attached to a tire for the pressure valve to work.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I have the MaxFlow version of the MV-50. Like you, I have it installed underhood and though it is now hard wired with a remote switch, I had it installed with the alligator clamps.

Possibilities for the unit to turn on by itself are slim.. mainly a short internal, at the switch which might explain why you couldn't turn it off. Were you direct to the battery? No relay?

I would disassemble the compressor switch. My bet is the switch is fried. Why that happened is beyond me.

The question I had is how you didn't hear it turn on.. My compressor is loud and there is no way it could run long enough to start smoking without me hearing it.

Anyway, if the switch is toast, just by-pass it with an external switch and relay.. assuming the compressor is still good.
Yes, I had it permanently attached to the battery and no external switches. I heard it right away, I just could not figure out what it was as I was not expecting compressor to come on. I jumped to it probably in one minute. Why it was smoking after working for a minute is beyond me. At first I too thought that I did not hear it, but I touched the compressor and it was not hot at all - the thing you'd expect from compressor running for a while.

Problem is that I am no electrician and always feel uneasy working with electronics. How do I make this thing work again? Is it easy to replace internal switch?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SFBayArea
Yes, I had it permanently attached to the battery and no external switches. I heard it right away, I just could not figure out what it was as I was not expecting compressor to come on. I jumped to it probably in one minute. Why it was smoking after working for a minute is beyond me. At first I too thought that I did not hear it, but I touched the compressor and it was not hot at all - the thing you'd expect from compressor running for a while.

Problem is that I am no electrician and always feel uneasy working with electronics. How do I make this thing work again? Is it easy to replace internal switch?
All sounds to me like a short in the switch. That could easily turn the unit on as it shorts out, and prevent it from being turned off.. essentially you are bypassing the switches capabilities with the short... This would also explain the smoke..fromt he shorting wires. Did you make note of the smell? And the compressor itself might not be hot if it was running only a few minutes. Remember, there isn't always heat with smoke.

Can you fix it? Probably. The switch is simple SP ST switch. But to be frank, I would take this opportunity to rewire it with an external switch.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

All sounds to me like a short in the switch. That could easily turn the unit on as it shorts out, and prevent it from being turned off.. essentially you are bypassing the switches capabilities with the short... This would also explain the smoke..fromt he shorting wires. Did you make note of the smell? And the compressor itself might not be hot if it was running only a few minutes. Remember, there isn't always heat with smoke.

Can you fix it? Probably. The switch is simple SP ST switch. But to be frank, I would take this opportunity to rewire it with an external switch.
Is there a diagram or better yet write up on how to rewire it with the external switch?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't know if the OP has a tank or not.. if the compressor isn't attached to something.. tire, tank.. It would never build pressure to shut off. I have three different coiled hoses and non have sealed chucks.. they all need to be attached to a tire for the pressure valve to work.
I don't have a tank. ARB's high output air pump, that's all.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SFBayArea

Is there a diagram or better yet write up on how to rewire it with the external switch?
I don't know, sorry.

I wired mine with the stock switch on all the time. Ran a wire from the battery to a secondary distribution panel with individual fuses. From there I went to a relay that is switched with a switch mounted on my a-pillar. The relay only goes hot when the ignition is so I don't worry that some yahoo will flip the a-pillar switch.. Half doors and doors off most of the year,

As far as electrical setups go, it's pretty easy.

Quick Reply: Do you own Smittybuilt Air Compressor?