Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Do the speakers have their own amps?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the speakers have their own amps?

I am about to install my Kenwood Double Din DDX-7015 along with my Kenwood KAC-X541 4 channel amp and KAC- X810D with a 12inch Audiobahn.
The question i have is when i go to connect my front stock speakers to the amp, do the have their own amp forthe stock infiniti system, or will i be able to run cable from my amp straight to the speakers.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grkmf3
I am about to install my Kenwood Double Din DDX-7015 along with my Kenwood KAC-X541 4 channel amp and KAC- X810D with a 12inch Audiobahn.
The question i have is when i go to connect my front stock speakers to the amp, do the have their own amp forthe stock infiniti system, or will i be able to run cable from my amp straight to the speakers.
Straight from the speakers. I believe only the woofer has its own amp. Also, can you post pics of your installation? I too have that HU and I tried it once and it did not go in all the way. I haven't tried it since but will when it gets warm outside. If you post pics of what you did to fit it, it'd be perfect. Thank you!

Also, ask me anything you need help on. I have dual amp, one for speakers and one for my sub.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that the speakers and woofer were all powered by an amplifier under the dash. (I.E. a 5 channel amplifier).

How do you plan on wiring this whole setup though?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

If that's the case, then I'd just wire them straight from the amp. That's what I have done w/ my system. Although I did not have the Infinity system, I didn't trust 75 RMS watts going through factory wires.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
If that's the case, then I'd just wire them straight from the amp. That's what I have done w/ my system. Although I did not have the Infinity system, I didn't trust 75 RMS watts going through factory wires.
75 Watts RMS to factory paper speakers isn't a good idea at all. It doesn't make any sense, really....

If you're going to go through all the trouble of installing amplifiers, subwoofers and new head unit, you may as well just throw in for some new speakers as well.

I was just curious as to how he plans on wiring the speakers and woofer with one amplifier. I assume he's going to try and bridge two channels for the woofer, and run the front speakers off the other two channels... which really doesnt' take into account the rear speakers .

In any case, I'd scrap the entire factory set up, buy new speakers, and run new speaker wire.

Keep in mind: It's always best to come within 70% of the RMS rating of the speakers. Underpowering a speaker is just as harmful as overpowering a speaker.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

I am running new wires from the 4ch amp to each speaker. I already installed my Infiniti Kappa components into the roll bar, and will be installing the other set of Kappa components in the front. I just needed to know when i remove the front speakers, did they have thier own little amps that i will have to remove, or was their just one amp in the dash. If there is one amp in the dash or car for the infiniti system, where is it located so i can remove it. I will be trashing the entire infiniti system so if you guys know anybody that wants is, let me know.
I will provide pics of the install, and pics of the sub box along with the amp istall, and battery cap install. My system is good for 88 watts RMS in each speaker, and 1200 watts RMS for the sub at 1ohm.
thanks,Dino
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Grkmf3
I am running new wires from the 4ch amp to each speaker. I already installed my Infiniti Kappa components into the roll bar, and will be installing the other set of Kappa components in the front. I just needed to know when i remove the front speakers, did they have thier own little amps that i will have to remove, or was their just one amp in the dash. If there is one amp in the dash or car for the infiniti system, where is it located so i can remove it. I will be trashing the entire infiniti system so if you guys know anybody that wants is, let me know.
I will provide pics of the install, and pics of the sub box along with the amp istall, and battery cap install. My system is good for 88 watts RMS in each speaker, and 1200 watts RMS for the sub at 1ohm.
thanks,Dino
I see now .

There is one amplifier. It's located right underneath the steeringwheel. I'll be waiting for the pics.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayland1985
75 Watts RMS to factory paper speakers isn't a good idea at all. It doesn't make any sense, really....

If you're going to go through all the trouble of installing amplifiers, subwoofers and new head unit, you may as well just throw in for some new speakers as well.

I was just curious as to how he plans on wiring the speakers and woofer with one amplifier. I assume he's going to try and bridge two channels for the woofer, and run the front speakers off the other two channels... which really doesnt' take into account the rear speakers .

In any case, I'd scrap the entire factory set up, buy new speakers, and run new speaker wire.

Keep in mind: It's always best to come within 70% of the RMS rating of the speakers. Underpowering a speaker is just as harmful as overpowering a speaker.

Are you questioning my install? If that's so, lets get some facts straight.

1. I do not have factory speakers. I have Polk MoMo speakers. Yes, all 4 of them. They come with tweeters too. Know what they are??

2. Like I said earlier, I am running 2...that's right TWO...as in, more than 1 AMP. 1 is hooked up to my speakers and the other one is hooked up to my sub. "OOOOO "

3. As for speakers and subs, they have a thing called 5 CH AMP. Ever heard of that?? It has 4 ch for speakers and 1 ch for AMP. Go to crutchfield.com and you'll find it there.

4. I was under the impression that the Infinity speakers can handle at least 50rms wattage. I am not sure if they're made out of paper like those cheap factory speakers are.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

BTW it's INFINITY...Infiniti makes cars.

OK so can you get me the details for the install?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Tomato Toe-mah-toe, you get the point.
I will start the install either tonight or tomm.
Will be posting pics of the entire install
Dino

Quick Reply: Do the speakers have their own amps?