Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

DIY Relay Box (similar to SPOD)

Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Relay Box (similar to SPOD)

I was going to order an SPOD but I like to make things so here goes. I say similar to SPOD because the SPOD has features that this box does not. I didn't use diodes across the relay coils (which I don't think is needed) and the SPOD will shut off power to an accessory if the battery reaches a critical low point (nice feature actually).

List of materials:

Project Box from Radio Shack $10
Relays and Relay Sockets (5) from eBay $15
Fuse block from Amazon $8
Terminal block from Home Depot $7
Wire and terminals from Home Depot $40
Rugged Ridge A-Pillar Switch Panel from Quadratec $85
Bussman 50A relay from Amazon $25
Protective Split Wire Housing from Home Depot $7

All in I have around $200 in it plus the satisfaction of making it. I didn't install diodes across the coils in the relays. I can always do it in the future but I really don't feel they are necessary. You will notice that I ran a Positive Battery Lead to the switch panel - which means the ignition doesn't have to be on to power the switches (they're hot all of the time just like the SPOD). While there are only 4 switches in the Rugged Ridge Panel, I wired the harness and box to accept 6 switches and relays. I will add two more relays to the box when I need them and add the switches to the panel at that time. Due to space constraints in the A-Pillar panel, the additional 2 switches will probably be the smaller round type.

I didn't get a ton of pictures but you get the idea. I did create a very detailed drawing using PowerPoint. I hope you get a good idea of how it works. Feel free to post questions or PM me.

Here is the drawing. I tried to make it comprehensive because I didn't find one anywhere on the web.

Rugged Ridge Panel installed

The relay box assembled

A bracket that I fabbed up from some aluminum strap I had laying around. It sits about 3/8" above the battery.

Pics of the box installed

There is a great spot to come through the firewall down by the brake booster.

Enjoy!

spod relay wiring lights accessories
Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Well done, it looks very clean.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM
JK Junkie

Need to keep thus forum easily accessible.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

x2: well done!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be doing a similar project. Is there any type of gasket or water tight seal on this particular box? I am assuming that accessory grounds are either ran locally to chassis or are you running them directly to the neg battery terminal? Btw for anyone else doing this, FYI you can buy the rugged ridge pillar on Ebay for about $20 shipped, and order custom laser engraved switches from OTRATTW for about the same price as the pillar and switches combined depending on what switches you choose from OTRATTW.

Great write up OP!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome. Clean install. Thinking about doing the same project. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. Also just as a note, alot of guys in the older jeeps would get the fuse boxes out of a junk yard for dirt cheap and build them as needed also. There pre sealed and usually have tons of room.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 951JEEP
I am going to be doing a similar project. Is there any type of gasket or water tight seal on this particular box? I am assuming that accessory grounds are either ran locally to chassis or are you running them directly to the neg battery terminal? Btw for anyone else doing this, FYI you can buy the rugged ridge pillar on Ebay for about $20 shipped, and order custom laser engraved switches from OTRATTW for about the same price as the pillar and switches combined depending on what switches you choose from OTRATTW.

Great write up OP!
Thanks everyone.

The box isn't water tight and doesn't have a gasket. If you want a box that is water tight, Plastic Electronic Enclosures - NEMA Enclosures | Polycase has some nice ones.

BTW, the SPOD is not water tight. The bottom part of their case is wide open.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

That looks great! That's exactly what I'm planning but with a Blue Seas fuse panel. Same concept though. It's nice to see a well thought layout like this
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
[SIZE="4"]... I didn't use diodes across the relay coils (which I don't think is needed) ...
You probably know this, but just in case not, the purpose of those diodes is to discharge the collapsing magnetic field energy that pulses through when the relay is deactivated--as the field collapses a reverse electrical current is generated in the coil and passes out of the relay. Really only needed if there is something sensitive connected to the relay coil circuit that might be damaged by a sudden reverse voltage.

Quick Reply: DIY Relay Box (similar to SPOD)