Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Decent ODB2 reader?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent ODB2 reader?

I'm looking for a good and capable ODB2 code reader. I was looking at the Snap-on Set up it is about $1500 I could swing that but it is excessive for my home garage. But I don't want that crappy one like what most parts houses use for FREE that gives you a general direction. Sears has a decent looking one in stock for $299 looks like it will do most of what I want out of one but it has some bad reviews. Then there is the INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool, looks like it is better than the Craftsman one but it is cheaper at about $189.

I want to be able to read-
Check engine light
TPMS
ABS lights
Air bag lights
SRS

Basically if a dash light comes on I want to be able to view it.

Anyone have a recommendation? As much as I want to just get the Snap-on one I think it has many more capabilities than I need and most of them I would never use. I want it to just have around for when I am working on my stuff of other peoples stuff.

Right now my traction control and ABS light are staying on, and at start up the downhill assist flashes. Everything I have read say ABS sensor so I changed all 4, and it is still happening. Dealer want's $200 just to tell me what the light is on for, I think I can a reader and save myself money in the long run. Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My flash cal works great. Its just for jeep wranglers though
Old 02-08-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tribulation138
My flash cal works great. Its just for jeep wranglers though

Will flash cal read ABS, and air bag light all that good stuff?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mblue

Will flash cal read ABS, and air bag light all that good stuff?
Yes. And you can clear most codes too.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Your problem almost sounds like a computer issue. But im not sure never experienced those symptoms.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have an android phone or tablet your can download torque app and buy a Bluetooth OBDII reader off Amazon. Cost you maybe 30.00 for the setup. Works AWESOME!!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:05 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only spent like $40 on mine. Works fine to read and clear codes.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi

Hes asking for abs and others like that. Those are mainly in expensive units. I highly doubt the superchips does those specific codes and know for a fact the bluetooth android ones do not as its what i use (at least on the dash command app) . Those expensive ones can cycle your abs cylinders for diagnostics and give read outs when your abs light/others are on AND theres no check engine light.. Dealers charge alot as those tools are very expensive,hell I've heard of some being damn near 20k

Last edited by Maertz; 02-09-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Hes asking for abs and others like that. Those are mainly in expensive units. I highly doubt the superchips does those specific codes and know for a fact the bluetooth android ones do not as its what i use (at least on the dash command app) . Those expensive ones can cycle your abs cylinders for diagnostics and give read outs when your abs light/others are on AND theres no check engine light.. Dealers charge alot as those tools are very expensive,hell I've heard of some being damn near 20k
Exactly, the one I am looking at is $1000-$1500ish for a reason it can do everything well almost everything the dealer can do. With a savings of $200 each time a light comes on it will pay for itself one day the dealers up here (Cape Cod Ma.) are crooks even with 17k miles they would not check the engine light without a payment of $150 up front and you have to have a credit card on file for them to service you auto.

But on a more positive note I stopped by Midas on my way home from work and they checked the ABS light for free and said it looks like it is the clock spring.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mblue

Exactly, the one I am looking at is $1000-$1500ish for a reason it can do everything well almost everything the dealer can do. With a savings of $200 each time a light comes on it will pay for itself one day the dealers up here (Cape Cod Ma.) are crooks even with 17k miles they would not check the engine light without a payment of $150 up front and you have to have a credit card on file for them to service you auto.

But on a more positive note I stopped by Midas on my way home from work and they checked the ABS light for free and said it looks like it is the clock spring.
Thats the most cost effective way! I tried a few places here and either they didn't have capabilities or charged a ton. Most of mine im pretty sure why there on but would be nice...

Quick Reply: Decent ODB2 reader?