Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dead Battery Overnight. 1.6 Amp Drain.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery Overnight. 1.6 Amp Drain.

Any thoughts?
2014 JK Sport.

Left the Jeep to sit for a couple of days in the garage. Was slow starting when I took it to work. Was dead by the end of the day.

So I hooked it up to a battery tender to charge it. Once full, I unhooked it from the tender and checked for any draw.

There's a periodic 1.6 amp draw. No doors opening or closing, no nothing. Just sitting there it'll pull 1.6 amps for a few minutes, stop for a few minutes, and then draw for a few minutes.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-2015, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russebp
Any thoughts?
2014 JK Sport.

Left the Jeep to sit for a couple of days in the garage. Was slow starting when I took it to work. Was dead by the end of the day.

So I hooked it up to a battery tender to charge it. Once full, I unhooked it from the tender and checked for any draw.

There's a periodic 1.6 amp draw. No doors opening or closing, no nothing. Just sitting there it'll pull 1.6 amps for a few minutes, stop for a few minutes, and then draw for a few minutes.

Any thoughts?
Anything plugged into the accessory outlets? Phone charger? What other accessories do you have installed? How did you check the draw. Did you disconnect the battery and put a meter in series?

Last edited by maxspongebob; 11-08-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hook a meter up between the battery negative post and the negative clamp. Start pulling fuses one by one until the draw drops to milliamps. That's the problem circuit.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Nothing in any of the lighter sockets, and they're set to get power only with key in.

Nothing in the way of directly powered accessories (although I'm eyeing an Engo winch for Christmas). Installed a CB 9 months ago, but it's powered by lighter socket. Installed backup camera a year ago, but it's power comes from reverse light.

Put the multimeter inline on the ground to get amp draw reading. Made it through pulling half of fuses before getting called back to dad duty.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Hopeful someone will have some experience and a tip like: "Oh, sounds like you need to top off the headlight fluid. JKs are known for that." to spare me some time.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry man I wish I could help you more but a short can occur on any circuit so suggesting which circuit it could be would be purely speculation. Prime suspects would be any circuit you added right before it started happening back to any circuit you added period followed by any mods you made that could have shorted a wire.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the Aeroforce gauges and the two of them drew enough to kill the battery after 3 or 4 days.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

I just had the same thing happen on my 2013 JK Unlimited Sahara. Only got 16k miles on her. Spent 5 days at the dealer, come to find out it was the rear view mirror drawing the load after the key was off. Good thing for the factory warranty.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Once the ammeter is connected in series with the battery, it can take up to 10 minutes for the various systems to shut down again. The amp draw will be significant until then.
Make sure the ammeter is securely connected. Any momentary loss of continuity will cause the systems to go through up to 10 minutes of shutting down again, and you will have to start over.

The Ignition Off Draw should not exceed 35 milliamp, (0.035 amp).

If the draw is still high after removing and replacing each fuse and the circuit breaker, disconnect the harness to the alternator. See if the reading goes to very low. If it does, troubleshoot the alternator system.

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-08-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) has always had issues. See here.

Chrysler TIPM Class Action Lawsuit | Chrysler Totally Integrated Power Module Class Action Lawsuit

Personally I have had strange issues with my Jeep that I could not explain. I also had to have the TIPM replaced after having the Jeep for less than a year. I think the main issue is that the computer that runs the TIPM has several bugs that Chrylser has never fully addressed.

I was actually hoping that disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it would have fixed the problem. But alas it seems not to be the case.

Good Luck.

If it is still under warranty, get it to the dealer ASAP so it is on record as bad.

Last edited by maxspongebob; 11-09-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Overnight. 1.6 Amp Drain.