Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

DDM HID wiring help

Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did my DDM install over the weekend and it was extremely easy. Looks like you are missing the relay harness.

Last edited by joe12jk; 10-10-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Did you order the hi/low beam feature? My bulbs had a small connector that connected to the harness to power the high beam. Yours look different than mine. And my relay harness had the connector for the pass side OEM headlight plug (green plug) that triggered the relay to power the HID's after install.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my DDM kit today also and was super easy. Everything works but the high beams now. I have the Hi/Low harness with the high beam trigger but it is not working. The low beams work great but as soon as you pull the stock to put high beams on the lights go out completely and I can't hear the bulbs being pulled in for highs. Am I missing something? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brent
Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2013Wrangler
I just installed my DDM kit today also and was super easy. Everything works but the high beams now. I have the Hi/Low harness with the high beam trigger but it is not working. The low beams work great but as soon as you pull the stock to put high beams on the lights go out completely and I can't hear the bulbs being pulled in for highs. Am I missing something? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brent
Sounds like it could be a relay problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goose2011
Sounds like it could be a relay problem.
The original DDM one crapped out on me. I was originally using it in my 2012 F-150 and then put it in the JK and clicked a couple times then the lights didnt work at all. So I bought a new one last week, put it in, and now I have the high beam problem. I will call the company tomorrow and see if I can get another if that is the problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hid

I'VE BEEN THROUGH TWO OF THE CRAPPY DDM HI/LOW RELAY HARNESSES. THEY WORK PERFECT FOR A WHILE AND THEN OUT OF NOWHERE.....NO LIGHTS. LAST WEEKEND, I COMPLETELY REMOVED THE DDM HI/LOW RELAY HARNESS AND WIRED IN MY OWN 40 AMP RELAYS. I USED 4 RELAYS TOTAL. ONE FOR LOW BEAM, ONE FOR HIGH BEAM, ONE FOR THE "ACTUATORS" ON THE BULBS FOR HIGH BEAM, AND 1 TO TURN ON THE FOGS AUTOMATICALLY WHEN ON HIGH BEAM. I USED 470uf CAPACITORS ON EACH RELAY TO TAKE CARE OF THE "BUZZING" RELAY ISSUE THAT THE CHRYSLER CANBUS SYSTEM WILL CAUSE. EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY...

ON A SIDE NOTE.....I HAVE AN IDENTICAL DDM KIT IN MY WIFE'S MAZDA THAT'S BEEN TROUBLE FREE FOR OVER TWO YEARS WITH THE SAME HIGH/LOW RELAY HARNESS. MY PERSONAL OPINION IS THEIR HIGH/LOW RELAY CAN NOT HANDLE THE CANBUS PULSING AND OVER TIME THEY WILL FAIL....
Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went thru the same damn thing! PISSED ME OFF TO NO END!!!! I've installed plenty of kits all from pro tuning lab..... I threw them in the trash! I ordered the trucklite led lights... Screw the bs! Lol
Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
I just went thru the same damn thing! PISSED ME OFF TO NO END!!!! I've installed plenty of kits all from pro tuning lab..... I threw them in the trash! I ordered the trucklite led lights... Screw the bs! Lol
Same boat, I am done with HID's pain in the @$$, went back to IPF reliable and simple. All that wiring always made me nervous, its not meant to be in the jeeps stock electrical system
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BigRedRubi
I'VE BEEN THROUGH TWO OF THE CRAPPY DDM HI/LOW RELAY HARNESSES. THEY WORK PERFECT FOR A WHILE AND THEN OUT OF NOWHERE.....NO LIGHTS. LAST WEEKEND, I COMPLETELY REMOVED THE DDM HI/LOW RELAY HARNESS AND WIRED IN MY OWN 40 AMP RELAYS. I USED 4 RELAYS TOTAL. ONE FOR LOW BEAM, ONE FOR HIGH BEAM, ONE FOR THE "ACTUATORS" ON THE BULBS FOR HIGH BEAM, AND 1 TO TURN ON THE FOGS AUTOMATICALLY WHEN ON HIGH BEAM. I USED 470uf CAPACITORS ON EACH RELAY TO TAKE CARE OF THE "BUZZING" RELAY ISSUE THAT THE CHRYSLER CANBUS SYSTEM WILL CAUSE. EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY...

ON A SIDE NOTE.....I HAVE AN IDENTICAL DDM KIT IN MY WIFE'S MAZDA THAT'S BEEN TROUBLE FREE FOR OVER TWO YEARS WITH THE SAME HIGH/LOW RELAY HARNESS. MY PERSONAL OPINION IS THEIR HIGH/LOW RELAY CAN NOT HANDLE THE CANBUS PULSING AND OVER TIME THEY WILL FAIL....
Do you happen to have any pics of the relay setup? Would love to see a write up on this! I'm looking to go HID on my factory fogs now, still a little nervous due to the Canbus. Everything works great so far.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DEMNJK11
Attachment 376201

Attachment 376200

Attachment 376199

This is what the kit and the ballast by itself and bulb portion by itself look like
FWIW, that looks like the the kit for the fogs, not the headlamps. There is no relay harness for the fogs and those bare terminals are supposed to plug into the factory fog bulb harness, although you have to shave/trim them a bit first.

Quick Reply: DDM HID wiring help