Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

DDM HID help

Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DDM HID help

k So I'm wanting to get some HID'ss but I'm not sure what all I need here http://w ww.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W Can someone tell me what I need? thanks

Last edited by Robar; 01-13-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Please do not post clickable non-sponsor links
Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I do alot of off roading at night so HID's are getting put in sooner or later
Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah but they are so freakin expensive compared to hid's
Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

HIDx windshield lights come in 4" & 7" and reasonably priced. Bought two 7" lights for about $265 including the windshield bracket.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RELENTLESS
k So I'm wanting to get some HID'ss but I'm not sure what all I need here http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W Can someone tell me what I need? thanks
Not sure if you r going 35w or 55w or which temp you are going with. But all I needed when I ordered from DDM

DDM HID Kit, 55W, H13, High / Low, 5000K
Bulb Color: 5000K
Bulb Type: H13/9008 Hi/Lo Beam (+$20.00)
Wattage: 55 Watt (+$10.00)

From what I have read and talking to DDM is that the JK does not need the error eliminators. You do not need the additional HID harness, since the kit comes with one.

I did need to do the capacitor and diode trick for the high beams and low beams to eliminate the buzzing in the relay. It was just an additioll $5 from radio shack and 10 min work.

It works perfectly now. Just make sure you aim them down.

Last edited by rb0ynj; 01-12-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

K I definitely do want the super white bright lights so 5000 is what I need but would I melt my stock headlamp housing with the 55 Watt kit?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rb0ynj
Not sure if you r going 35w or 55w or which temp you are going with. But all I needed when I ordered from DDM

From what I have read and talking to DDM is that the JK does not need the error eliminators. You do not need the additional HID harness, since the kit comes with one.

I did need to do the capacitor and diode trick for the high beams and low beams to eliminate the buzzing in the relay. It was just an additioll $5 from radio shack and 10 min work.

Do you have the write up you followed to do that? I attempted to do it but it didn't work. After I was done my high beams didn't turn on. I have the basic 35W DDM kit. My relay was buzzing and the lights flicker when starting from a stop.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should read the Hella site to why they don't offer HID retro kits (basically says that putting them in stock light housings doesn't work well). HIDs are great, I think they should be offered on every car. But those $50 - $90 kits scream cheap compared to the price you pay for the quality design and manufacture of OEM HIDs.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rb0ynj

You must teach us
Requesting a write up!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

I do not have a write up, but i did somewhat follow the following write up.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht-Kit-Install

The only thing I did different was installing diode and capacitor to both the high beams AND low beams. You can pick up the parts from radio shack. Parts required are220uF electrolytic capacitor and a 50v-1a silicon diode.

Now before I installed the diode/capacitor, there was no buzzing and the lights were not flickering when the engine was off. Everything worked fine. It was once I turned on the ignition when I heard buzzing coming from the harness (not the ballast) and sligh flickering coming from the bulbs. This was the canBus messing with the HIDs.

Here is instructions I got from DDM's website.

It just causes the relay to chatter when the vehicle is running with the high beams on. To stop this, 2 parts are needed (available from most electronics parts stores): 220uF electrolytic capacitor and a 50v-1a silicon diode. The diode gets installed on the high beam trigger wire to prevent spikes going back to the ECU. The capacitor gets wired between the high beam trigger wire and the ground wire. The capacitor keeps the relay engaged during the pulsing through the blue wire when the high beams are on and the vehicle is running. If there is flickering on low beam, then the same approach applied to the low beam circuit should be successful.

Quick Reply: DDM HID help