Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Daisy Chain Rigids?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daisy Chain Rigids?

What's up everyone...

I have windshield mounted Rigid Dually's and I'm adding an E Series 6" to the bumper. I was wondering if I can just splice into the existing wires instead of running the 6" to the battery and inside the cab. I'm absolutely cool with having them all work off of one switch. Is this is a legit approach? Are there any cons to this approach or anything special I should know about?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 PM
cmg
JK Newbie

You can wire them in parallel providing your wires coming from the battery can support the current of both lights. Wiring them in series will reduce power to the second light in the chain.

I "borrowed" these images from the web.

Series wiring (not recommended)
Click image for larger version

Name:	how_parallel2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	290945

Parallel wiring
Click image for larger version

Name:	how_parallel1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	290946

CG
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

um...so, by parallel you mean don't splice? Holly crap...those diagrams don't make any sense to me. Can you dumb it down?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
cmg
JK Newbie

Don't cut the leads in insert the light in between. There should be a power wire and a ground wire coming to your current light, unless you are grounded to the chassis. You need to tap a lead off the power wire (typically red) and bring it to you new light as well as a lead off ground wire (typically black) and bring that you your new light.

You still need to make sure the lead(s) coming from the battery can handle the power of the 2 lights. Do you know the wire sizes you have installed and the power draw of both lights?

CG
Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Desert Snow
um...so, by parallel you mean don't splice? Holly crap...those diagrams don't make any sense to me. Can you dumb it down?
Electrical Diagrams scare the crap out of me too. But the theory I think I understand.

In series means you would wire from the battery to one light and then from that light to the next light, in a chain, like you asked about. In series means there's only one wire sending power from the battery. This isn't a good strategy.

In parallel means you run power from the battery to each light (i.e. one red from battery to one light, another red from battery to the other light)- in other words, you'll have two parallel red wires. Now how you get one switch to handle that, I'm not sure, I'm sure someone else will chime in. I think as long as the switch can handle the amount of both wires' current (what CMG said), you can run both wires into the single switch.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmg
Don't cut the leads in insert the light in between. There should be a power wire and a ground wire coming to your current light, unless you are grounded to the chassis. You need to tap a lead off the power wire (typically red) and bring it to you new light as well as a lead off ground wire (typically black) and bring that you your new light.

You still need to make sure the lead(s) coming from the battery can handle the power of the 2 lights. Do you know the wire sizes you have installed and the power draw of both lights?

CG
New light: 25.5 watts and 1.77 amps
Exiting lights: 15 watts and 1 amp each (there are 2)

The wire is a heavy gauge, but I'm not certain on the exact size.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

New light: 25.5 watts and 1.77 amps
Exiting lights: 15 watts and 1 amp each (there are 2)

The wire is a heavy gauge, but I'm not certain on the exact size.
Well your math is a little off. But you are dealing with lo enough numberst to say: Yes, you can put them all on the same circuit.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

Well your math is a little off. But you are dealing with lo enough numberst to say: Yes, you can put them all on the same circuit.
Thanks for the reply. Where's the math off?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Where's the math off?
25.5w / 12v = 2.125A - not 1.77A

and

15w / 12v = 1.25A - not 1A

Little off but not enough to make a differance.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 03-20-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

You can do this, I used 12 guage wire, connected everything to my home made relay box. And No Problems.

Quick Reply: Daisy Chain Rigids?