Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Custom sub box ideas??

Old 03-29-2007, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started work on my subbox tonight but i forgot the camera's cord on my desk so youll havta wait till tomorrow to get the pics. I'm using the space of the rear storage area and building a fiberglass enclosure that will hold a single 10" sub and amp. Should look good too.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
theres a guy on jeepforum that had a awesome write-up of making your own seat sub enclousr with all dimensions you need. i wonder if i sent him my seat if i coul dget him to do one for the JK?
SirGCal. his write up was awesome. as soon as my JK get's here, i'm sitting down with his specs, my seat, and my tools.

write-ups and pictures of my carnage to follow...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

I went with another approach. Being that I am from the south, we are masters of camoflauge. I took the angle of hiding the sub in an enclosure that would not invite a criminal. I have some pics but it is not the finished product. I intend on making the enclosure look worn and maybe write "not suitable for drinking" on the top. Also, if there is bad weather on the way and I have my top off, all I have to do is screw on the lid.

My disclaimer: Please feel free to use this idea as often as you want but if you make money off of it (which I doubt) I want a cut.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Watercooler Sub4.JPG
Views:	1500
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Watercooler Sub1.JPG
Views:	1581
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Watercooler Sub3.JPG
Views:	1569
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1118  
Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

"not suitible for drinking" is a good idea. I wonder if the plastic will rattle and buzz like crazy though. Another thought is a label "bovine urine samples"
Old 04-01-2007, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

I did this about 2 weeks ago and there is no buzz or rattle what so ever. I put in a 8 inch sub in a 3 gallon cooler. The opening is just over 8 inches and the sub is wedged in there. Once you get it in there it takes some muscle to get it out. Like I said, its not pretty but who wants a cooler that looks like it would give you a disease if you touched it?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about putting a sub in the console like in the TJ? I always thought that was the best location for a sub in a jeep. Not obvious or easy to get at and relatively protected from the elements. Anyone try this yet?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LT1-YJ
have you seen the new Alpine PDX digital amps. . they are the smallest high power ams ive seen adn they draw less power and can stack like legos.... really cool for tight spaces.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...p?category=AMP
I have a pdx 4.150 coming to power my new speakers, went with the new xda-0001 it plays flash drives and ipods
Old 11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

This is a design that I have been working on. I have the box built and am currently carpeting it.

I had to modify the size of the subwoofer portion of the box because a 10" low profile sub needs .5 cubic feet for optimal sound and 38" by 18" was way to large. To compisate, I made the sub enclosure 14" by 18" and made 12" by 18" hinged door compartments on both sides of the woofer. The enclosure (to include the amp/car pc enclosure) will take up the entire area of an unlimited. I made the enclosure shallow and sturdy enough to still be able to use the space for storage (the sub faces downward).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	subwoofer enclosure.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	4484  
Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

I know in my old car there was a company that sold sub enclosures that went under the front dashboard. They called it the UD Sub. It actually used the whole dashboard to resonate sound, was hidden, and sounded great.

Is there anything out there like this for the Wrangler?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

here is my design wish i had better pics but this holds 2 12" subs and the amp need to get it carpeted....also it bolts down to the back seats so no theft

http://yellowtrix.tripod.com/photos/DSC00585.JPG
http://yellowtrix.tripod.com/photos/DSC00586.JPG

Quick Reply: Custom sub box ideas??