Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Custom sub box ideas??

Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I agree. I was a custom car stereo installer for a long time back in the day. There is no substitute for proper amounts of airspace, I was really only linking it cause it's the first custom sub box you can buy for our Jeeps. And being that it's a JL W1v2 in there, it should sound quite good. However the price is pretty hefty. I think I'm going to remove my rear storage bin thing and build my own box in there. I'm pretty certain I can build something spectacular that won't take up any space though. I think I'll make it this weekend's project if I don't get to building the sissy bar for my bike. I'll take pics and post when done =)
Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vgullotta
Yeah, I agree. I was a custom car stereo installer for a long time back in the day. There is no substitute for proper amounts of airspace, I was really only linking it cause it's the first custom sub box you can buy for our Jeeps. And being that it's a JL W1v2 in there, it should sound quite good. However the price is pretty hefty. I think I'm going to remove my rear storage bin thing and build my own box in there. I'm pretty certain I can build something spectacular that won't take up any space though. I think I'll make it this weekend's project if I don't get to building the sissy bar for my bike. I'll take pics and post when done =)
I got a post from someone that recommended a custom enclosure and then it struck me.. I'm actually going to start fibgerglass in the summer and do your exact idea.. Other than tow ropes and tie downs I don't exactly use the box for a whole lot... I you have a 2011 btw keep the rear storage cuz it'll come in handy for the small parts when flipping the soft top down.. Looking forward to your pictures since I'm in Canada where fiber is no good in winter :(
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Didn't want to start a new thread but does anyone happen to have this box from Quadratec?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_300X_PG.htm

I'd like to get the dimensions and build one myself. $300 just seems insane for just the box.

I have a 2 door and want to run one 10" infinity kappa sub (they're pretty deep). I'd like to have it down firing and be able to attach the amp to the under side of it as well.

Any help or ideas at all are much appreciated!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is what i did as i asked the same question
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120118_153507.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	266555   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120118_153533.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	266556  
Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by enzo319
This is what i did as i asked the same question
That's perfect! Do you have any more detailed pics? That's pretty much the exact thing I want to do but I want to make the actual box part a little bigger and port it. Do you have the measurement from the back of the box to the seat? I don't have a seat anymore so I can't take it myself.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2454963603.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	266882

10"JL W7 with JLHD 750/1 with a line drive
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-228763858.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	266883  
Old 01-19-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Supro
That's perfect! Do you have any more detailed pics? That's pretty much the exact thing I want to do but I want to make the actual box part a little bigger and port it. Do you have the measurement from the back of the box to the seat? I don't have a seat anymore so I can't take it myself.
i can take some measurements tonight for you and i'll PM them to you. i made it tall enough for the backseat when its folded down its flush. i like having the extra room to the left of the sub as well. my amp is mounted under the passenger seat, but u can install yours 2 the underside of the top portion of the box.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone ever cut open the floor and just install a larger rear tub to hold the sub?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by enzo319
i can take some measurements tonight for you and i'll PM them to you. i made it tall enough for the backseat when its folded down its flush. i like having the extra room to the left of the sub as well. my amp is mounted under the passenger seat, but u can install yours 2 the underside of the top portion of the box.
Thanks, I really appreciate it man!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 AM
mml
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Anyone ever cut open the floor and just install a larger rear tub to hold the sub?
looked into it, need to move exhaust, you get a bit more space but not sure if it's really worth
it.
i had a local shop build a custom enclosure that resembles the factory one to house an aftermarket 8"

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	266988

Quick Reply: Custom sub box ideas??