Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Custom sub box ideas??

Old 03-28-2007, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom sub box ideas??

I saw one post with someone who built a really nice, but large, custom subbox for the back. i was wondering if anyone has seen anything else that i can get some ideas from. I have a2dr so i dont wanna lose too much space. Maybe thinking of utilizing the rear storage area and building up a little.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

This is my first go at custom on the JK. Waiting for a decent price on HU before I go full out and change the front end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sjpjk07...7594572404850/

This box is 12x12x25 an fits the split seat perfectly.

The other box I looked at was this one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=267-140

Similar size as mine but the top is half the top depth of mine. I actually prefer the dimensions of mine. I can lay my golf bag over the back and the box is sturdy enough to carry it easily.

Last edited by SJP-07JKx; 03-28-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

nice and simple. prob sounds good with those 2 subs. Im thinkng of something a little more elaborate and possibly some fiberglas work too, but not huge. Maybe just one single JL sub or Alpine TypeR. well see what works.

thanks.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

anyone tried the slim profile subs by JL, Pioneer, Clarion, etc? 10-12" but only 3-4" deep
Old 03-28-2007, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking about using that compartment in the trunk so i dont lose much space and its out of site. Mount the amp under the driver side cause I dont move my seat much.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

have you seen the new Alpine PDX digital amps. . they are the smallest high power ams ive seen adn they draw less power and can stack like legos.... really cool for tight spaces.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...p?category=AMP
Old 03-28-2007, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

The equipment id like to use:
single SWR-1222D sub in some custom fiberglas box using the rear floor truck space. mount the two amps in the back of that enclosure. PDX-1.600 and PDX-4.100 for the speakers. SPR-17S 6.5 components for the front and for the soundbar.
as for the HU, im still torn between just using the factory or goin all out and doing the Alpine W205 (updated version of the 200) with the Nav system.... humm so much money to spend so little time to earn it first.. :-)
Old 03-29-2007, 01:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you though about using the rear seat? i am dying to know if you can hollow some fill out of it and build a box in there. 33engineering did some for the Tj's. i think they had a box that you could fit a pair of the 10" JL slims in.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you seen the new Alpine PDX digital amps. . they are the smallest high power ams ive seen adn they draw less power and can stack like legos.... really cool for tight spaces.
Yes, that's what I would go with. They are small and powerful..perfect for a Jeep.

Originally Posted by LT1-YJ
The equipment id like to use:
single SWR-1222D sub in some custom fiberglas box using the rear floor truck space. mount the two amps in the back of that enclosure. PDX-1.600 and PDX-4.100 for the speakers. SPR-17S 6.5 components for the front and for the soundbar.
as for the HU, im still torn between just using the factory or goin all out and doing the Alpine W205 (updated version of the 200) with the Nav system.... humm so much money to spend so little time to earn it first.. :-)
I would highly recommend you not mount the amps to the back of the enclosure. It sounds like a good idea, but you just make it that much easier for someone to walk away with your entire system. I would put the amps under a seat, then run your speaker wire to the enclosure.

I know you were talking about using that floor trunk space, so unless you're permanently mounting the enclosure down there, I would keep those amps elsewhere - otherwise that might work.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

yeah - i know. my friend lost some of his system because he never bolted anything down. I would mount it and make sure it wasnt easy to remove.

Quick Reply: Custom sub box ideas??