Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Cruise control dropping out

Old 06-13-2016, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cruise will also cut out if the computer senses an unexpected reduction in speed, like going over railroad tracks. This can kick it off. Also, it cuts the cruise off when you depress the clutch while cruising.

So long as the engine remains running, and you haven't pressed the cancel button, it will remember your setting and bring you back up to speed when hitting resume.

Essentially that's what it does when it auto cuts out, is just cancels it to disengage the driveline.

One thing to note is that it's never recommended to use cruise control in inclement conditions where traction is reduced. This creates a dangerous situation which can cause the vehicle to spin and continue to apply power propelling it off the road. That's why whenever it snows I go manual with the throttle control, so if I sense it start to slip or slide I can just let off the gas and not touch the breaks. It's not so much a problem in lighter rain or wind, but definitely in snow or heavy rain/freezing rain.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by grim_creation
Cruise will also cut out if the computer senses an unexpected reduction in speed, like going over railroad tracks. This can kick it off. Also, it cuts the cruise off when you depress the clutch while cruising. So long as the engine remains running, and you haven't pressed the cancel button, it will remember your setting and bring you back up to speed when hitting resume. Essentially that's what it does when it auto cuts out, is just cancels it to disengage the driveline. One thing to note is that it's never recommended to use cruise control in inclement conditions where traction is reduced. This creates a dangerous situation which can cause the vehicle to spin and continue to apply power propelling it off the road. That's why whenever it snows I go manual with the throttle control, so if I sense it start to slip or slide I can just let off the gas and not touch the breaks. It's not so much a problem in lighter rain or wind, but definitely in snow or heavy rain/freezing rain.
Thanks for the good info. I just thought it was off since my 2011 sport never done it. But yes hitting resume took right off just after. I mostly use the cruise in areas around here where it's easy to get a ticket! 😜
Old 06-14-2016, 01:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepn4fun
... I mostly use the cruise in areas around here where it's easy to get a ticket! 😜
Same here
Old 03-31-2022, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

(2017 Wrangler Chief) Mine has just started doing this. Yes the first time it was a very windy day. I heard one chime from the dash and a glimpse of a light. I finally saw what was doing it today during more heavy winds, the yellow Sway light came one for just a 1/2 second. So, it will chime once and kick the cruise off and naturally slows down but doesn't loose power at all. May have a sensor about to crap on me. Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Cruise control dropping out