Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Cruise control dropping out

Old 05-23-2016, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cruise control dropping out

I have had the cruise control drop out in the rain when the traction control clicks in. Yesterday, it dropped out several times. I saw indicator lights flash, but couldn't catch which ones came on briefly. It wasn't raining, but it was windy. Can wind cause the cruise control to drop out?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a rubicon and do u have a winch? Did u notice the speedometer dropping to zero ?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roughneck
Is this a rubicon and do u have a winch? Did u notice the speedometer dropping to zero ?
It is a Rubicon, and I do have a winch. I didn't notice the speedometer dropping that low, but it was below the set speed. It couldn't have been a total power loss, as the speed control "remembered" the set speed, and the engine kept running.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Mine did that once or twice, never had any lights, the cruise just turned off. Then this last time it did it the traction control and ABS lights came on and stayed on. Had a bad ABS wheel speed sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-23-2016, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 16 Rubicon and my cruise control shut off going over railroad tracks at 60. I hit resume and it took right off at normal. It will repeat on the same tracks. I thought it was odd too.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Jeep hasn't dropped out of cruise control since it did it several times on that very windy day. I can only assume that swaying has the same effect as loosing traction on one wheel. I also looked at the instrument cluster with the key in the run position, but not started, and I see the swaybar light in the area where I saw a yellow light flash when it dropped out of cruise control.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

For towing, most of our jeeps have trailer sway control. TSC. In 2012 you only got this with the max tow package but I think later years added it as standard. It works by lightly applying brakes automatically if it thinks your jeep is swaying due to your trailer load. However, it certainly doesn't know whether you have a trailer attached, so my theory is that in wind, it can think you have sway which applies some brake which therefore stops the cruise. This happened to me while actually towing a landscape trailer in the wind on a highway with cruise control on. I couldn't figure out why the cruise sometimes disabled and came up with my theory about the sway control. I found this in an earlier jk forum post:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2776741050.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	648425  

Last edited by rob_engineer; 05-31-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
For towing, most of our jeeps have sway control. In 2012 you only got this with the max tow package but I think later years added it as standard. It works by lightly applying brakes automatically if it thinks your jeep is swaying due to your trailer load. However, it certainly doesn't know whether you have a trailer attached, so my theory is that in wind, it can think you have sway which applies some brake which therefore stops the cruise. This happened to me while actually towing a landscape trailer in the wind on a highway with cruise control on. I couldn't figure out why the cruise sometimes disabled and came up with my theory about the sway control.
That would fit the symptoms I was seeing, and I think the yellow light I saw flash was the sway light.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 16FW
That would fit the symptoms I was seeing, and I think the yellow light I saw flash was the sway light.
See my edited post above with the description in someone's 2010 owners manual.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
See my edited post above with the description in someone's 2010 owners manual.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cruise control dropping out