Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Coolant fan not shutting off

Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant fan not shutting off

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and I've had my 08 rubi for a year and have run into my first problem. Lately my fan keeps running even after I shut the engine off. I've replaced the fan fuse and left the battery disconnected for a few hours and it would stop. But it didn't work today. I seen another thread and tried what it said but no luck. Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a fan relay that may be sticking. Not sure on other electrical bugs. There is also a temp sensor that can keep the fan running after the key is turned off. Ronjenx may chime in with the relay number/location and suggestions. If you pull the relay, you can check the contacts and/or the power to the relay coil. If it's a bad relay, replacing it will solve the problem. If there is coil voltage present then it involves more troubleshooting.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

I would check the relay first also. If you have the owners manual it should show you the relay locations. On my 2013 the fan would not go on and it was overheating. What it ended up being was that the computer had to be reprogrammed by the dealer because that part of the program had been "lost" somehow. Oh the days when these things were so much easier to fix. There more complicated things get the more there is to go wrong.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Took it to dealer and TIPM is bad (go figure). Took it to a friend's shop for a diagnostic test and he ordered me a new high speed relay. Should be here tomorrow. It's a hassle getting to the old one. But hopefully this works.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Put the new relay in last night and were back in business.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

I am glad that you found your problem and got it fixed. I like that feeling of satisfaction when a problem gets corrected.

Quick Reply: Coolant fan not shutting off