Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Convert jk headlights to sealed beam

Old 11-26-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert jk headlights to sealed beam

Hello, I would like to know if its possible to convert jeep jk headlights to sealed beam headlights like the old CJ and TJ model because stock headlights sucks. I saw the IPH headlights kit but it look similar to a old sealed beam and its much more expensive.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carzboyz
Hello, I would like to know if its possible to convert jeep jk headlights to sealed beam headlights like the old CJ and TJ model because stock headlights sucks. I saw the IPH headlights kit but it look similar to a old sealed beam and its much more expensive.
I think you meant IPF H4 conversion kits. Those lenses aren't very good for the money, for a bit more you can get Cibies H4.

I don't think you'll find sealed beams that will improve over the stock setup. I could be wrong, I haven't really searched for them.

The first thing you can try, and it's free, is to check to be sure your headlights are properly aimed. You can google instructions.

But upgrading to effective and improved (and safe/legal) lighting will start with the lamps themselves. Halogen H4 lenses like Cibies or the assorted LEDs or even HIDs (complete with ballast and projectors) are all available but it gets expensive quickly.

But if you stick with the stock housings, don't waste you money on a fancy halogen bulbs or any drop-in HID bulb. It's just won't do the trick. There's lots of threads on different setups.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet

I think you meant IPF H4 conversion kits. Those lenses aren't very good for the money, for a bit more you can get Cibies H4.
The IPFs have quite an excellent light pattern. There is a very small bright spot that shines up into the air at a high angle. It is not a problem for me. In fact, I didn't know for my first several years of ownership that it even existed (until I read about it online). You truly have to look for it to see it, and you can't see it while driving. It does, however, make them unable to pass DOT testing. The lenses themselves are heavy glass, not plastic. Aesthetically, they look way better than OEM or anything else with a clear lens--they look like the sealed-beams of the past. They look proper on a Jeep.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Does its possible to replace just the housing of the light and keep the stock h13 bulb I don't feel to modify it too much it is still on waranty.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Does its possible to replace just the housing of the light and keep the stock h13 bulb I don't feel to modify it too much it is still on waranty.
You can get H13 to H4 pigtails that just plug in, so no cutting or splicing is needed, I have the IPF kit with H4 bulbs and its a huge improvement over stock.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

How much for a complete kit ??? Does its cheaper than HID lights ?
Old 11-29-2014, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

im interested too!
Old 11-30-2014, 04:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

How much for a complete kit ??? Does its cheaper than HID lights ?
Contact Northridge directly. I bought this kit, but didn't like the kiddie-car blue tint of the $80 bulbs. Gave them away and replaced with $20 pair of Sylvania haolgens. I think Northridge sells this kit for under $100 without bulbs now.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/ipf-920h4-jk-headlight-kit

Again: Kit is not DOT approved. But it works great.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 AM
Former Member

I could be mistaken but I believe DOT approval is only required on components for the manufacturer of a vehicle Now I'm wondering about my source.....
Whatever, I converted to an IPF complete kit a few years back and wish I'd done it sooner. On an 07 there where some times when not even in bad weather I couldn't see F-all in front with original lights properly aimed.
For a while I had problems with 1 adapter pigtail giving me an intermittent dead light on low beam. I re and re'd the plugs with more di-electric grease and used small zip ties at the connections to maintain connectivity.
Happy camper now.
Don't have any weird bright spots....could be an aiming or lens flaw issue for anyone experiencing that.
You can pay a whole lot more for a fix from originals but these work perfectly on my high mileage Rubi. I wouldn't replace this set up for anything else.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The "bright spot" is tiny and difficult to find. But it is why at least one "lighting expert" on another forum recommends against the IPFs.

Stand in front of your Jeep about two or three feet. Look straight at the light dead on centerline of the assembly. Move your head up and down until you find the bright bar across the lens center. It is small but obvious. Supposedly that tiny sliver of light can blind oncoming traffic, and reduce visibility in fog. Other than seeing it when looking for it, it has never been a problem for me. And that oncoming traffic would have to be a semi about three feet from my front bumper. The last thing I'm worried about is blinding him at that point!

Quick Reply: Convert jk headlights to sealed beam