Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Controling ipod

Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
Easy fella, I'm not advocating rolling down the road fiddling with my phone. I was just saying it should allow you to do it. On mine I just use the radio, since I have a RHR which makes it easy. On my wife's car the radio is not touch screen and a huge pain to use, so I plug it in, then use to phone to pick my playlist or artist and then drive. I'm also a habitual user of Bluetooth phone in the car/Jeep, I don't hold a phone and drive.

I don't make distracted driving a habit, and in fact I'm in favor of hands free and no texting laws based on what I see around me in my daily Northern Virginia commute. At east once a week I get held up by or almost run over by someone who's too busy dialing, talking, or texting rather than driving.
I understand what you're saying and I really meant no offense towards you. I'm just saying, when you have a safer option available, then there is really no need for anyone to be looking down at a small screen and adjusting stuff.

I know I quoted you, but this is the kind of statement that really upset me.

Originally Posted by HHFD633
Not if its in a cradle next to steering wheel, Factory radio is very limiting and doesnt allow me to functions of the ipod (iphone) i would like to use..Would not really be looking while driving...
Obviously a blatant lie. If you're not doing it while you're driving, then it's really not that hard to unplug the USB cable from the iPod and make your adjustments while you're "not driving". You know what kind of settings can't be accessed by the radio? Things like digging into the EQ settings on the iPod, things like creating On-the-Go playlists. Items where you really need to be looking down at the iPod screen for extended periods of time to access.

We're all on the road together. Alls any of us needs to do is look around on our daily commutes like you just described, to see some ass clown with a cell phone up to their ear and driving out of their lane, weaving all over the place, cutting others off and other ass clowns sending text messages with their cell phone. It's "always" the other guy that will cause the accident. "I'm careful when I use my hand held device while driving." "This will never happen to me." Now here is the OP spelling out exactly why we don't want to be sharing the road with him. People need to start waking up and realizing, this kind of stuff KILLS people. This kind of stuff DESTROYS other people's families and what was so important that someone ended up killing an entire family in a car accident? They needed to access some deep menu on their iPod so they could adjust their EQ settings. We all need to start waking up. We need to stop pointing our fingers outwards at others and start pointing them back inwards, because we are that other guy risking putting others in danger every time you take your eyes off the road to concentrate on a small screen to do something else.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-04-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a fair point. And believe me, I'm with you, especially after I almost get run over or see someone else not paying attention and almost cause a bad accident all the time in this area. I know on my wife's car and my Jeep sometimes the song just randomly changes when I plug it in. On my 730N, it's easy to dial up something different, but her Outback has a very a clunky interface so it's nice to have the option to easily change it after plugging it in. My wife and I both are good about plugging in, setting an artist or playlist, the putting it in the console and forgetting it. I also made her get a car with Bluetooth this time and molded her into the habit of using it.

Quick Reply: Controling ipod