Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Considering Trucklites from Northridge 4x4

Old 04-03-2016, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
Our sleet infused snow that falls here ALOT blocks them up in short order. as well as your wipers etc. I also have to stop to scrape ice off the windshield a lot as well. its brutal.....but the non heated TLS make it worse.
Winters get pretty rough up here in the Smokeys...I have never had any problems.
But do what works for you.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
Our sleet infused snow that falls here ALOT blocks them up in short order. as well as your wipers etc. I also have to stop to scrape ice off the windshield a lot as well. its brutal.....but the non heated TLS make it worse.
Well we got some of this ridiculous April snow here in MI which was super wet and heavy. Some did stick to the lights but they weren't covered to the point of impeding the output. I would imagine a good hard snowfall with the same conditions could pose an issue
Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Going with the plan - Update

Ok, as per my original post, I contacted Northridge 4x4 and spoke to Max and the order took less than 3 minutes to place - fantastic! Max knew exactly what I wanted. TL's 7" round/heated/PWMs. Turns out that they were out of the PWMs (anti-flicker module) so they sent the order down to Rigid to drop ship from Arizona. Package was suppored to arrive via FedX on April 4th (tomorrow). Turns out it arrived Friday, April 1st. Due to the freakish weather here (Pittsburgh) over the weekend, I had no chance to install them - looks like the first respectable temperature here will be Wednesday.

A word about price..... Northridge 4x4 was by far the less expensive. My other option would have been Quadratec, but since they are in PA also, automatically $32 state tax and they base price listed for about $35 more. THEN I went and researched the price elsewhere online (mind you this is AFTER I ordered from NR4X4). Shazbot!!! Average price was closer to $740.

Northridge 4x4 has a new devotee!

I'll try to teke pix even though there's a few thousand online anyway. Back at you in a few days!
Old 04-16-2016, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Finally, the install...

The Trucklite package arrived on Friday April 1st instead of Monday April 4th... and then the snow and freezing temperatures began And it snowed and snowed and snowed.... AAARRRGGGHHHH...... and finally then work and weather cooperated and on Friday, April 15th.... INSTALL !!! .

If you are considering this upgrade, look for Trucklite install videos on YouTube - covers everything BUT - a trick: unmount your turn signal bulbs and sockets as per the video instructions. Looking from the front, on the right hand side, reach under and use the plug connector as a lever - it will be in the 3 o'clock position and move it to 5 o'clock and then remove the bulb/socket. Repeat on the left side except that the connector is at 9 o'clock position and you rotate it down to 7 o'clock. Now, extra big tip, after you reattach the grill, open the wiring plug and remove the turn signal socket from the wiring harness and then reinstall the bulb/socket using the reverse of the removal process and *then* reconnect the wiring/plug - don't forget the red lock on the connector. This makes it a thousand times easier to reinstall the turn signals because you are not fighting the tension of the wiring harness.

Ok, the install... took my time and overall, it took about 50 minutes. The only surprise was in pushing the lamp to PWM connector, these connectors are tight (yes use dielectric grease as mentioned in this thread) but one of the male pins on the Lamp side pushed out of the back of the connector - simply use a screw driver to push it back in. This sometimes happens with any tight connector - I don't consider this a product flaw - I actually consider this a good thing as it shows a tight connection. I also chose to wrap the PWM/headlamp connector in electrical tape. 3,000 years from now archeologists will confirm that connection is still closed tightly.

Pictures (that's why we are all here, isn't it?) This is my first time posting pictures so here goes
Left side is OEM, right side Trucklites
LOW BEAMS
Click image for larger version

Name:	low beam comparison.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	644031
HIGH BEAMS

Name:	high beam comparison.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	644032
JEEP FRONT APPEARANCE

Name:	appearance comparison.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	644033
LOW BEAMS WITH FOG LANPS ON

Name:	low beam with fog light comparison.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	644034

Needless to say, the difference between OEM and Trucklites is unbelievable. Yes, they are expensive, but figure out how much you will spend frankensteining some other some solution using wiring harnesses and capacitors or other PWM's and then consider the Trucklite price at Northridge 4x4 . My opinion: It wasn't all that big a jump considering what you're getting over and above what you might have settled for. I did and I'm glad I went with these, they are awesome.

The only down side is that my poor fog lights which used to be the brightest bulb on my Jeep, now look dingy against the insanely white Trucklite light.

Thanks again to everyone in the thread for all the information and encouragement.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepRocks
The Trucklite package arrived on Friday April 1st instead of Monday April 4th... and then the snow and freezing temperatures began And it snowed and snowed and snowed.... AAARRRGGGHHHH...... and finally then work and weather cooperated and on Friday, April 15th.... INSTALL !!! .

If you are considering this upgrade, look for Trucklite install videos on YouTube - covers everything BUT - a trick: unmount your turn signal bulbs and sockets as per the video instructions. Looking from the front, on the right hand side, reach under and use the plug connector as a lever - it will be in the 3 o'clock position and move it to 5 o'clock and then remove the bulb/socket. Repeat on the left side except that the connector is at 9 o'clock position and you rotate it down to 7 o'clock. Now, extra big tip, after you reattach the grill, open the wiring plug and remove the turn signal socket from the wiring harness and then reinstall the bulb/socket using the reverse of the removal process and *then* reconnect the wiring/plug - don't forget the red lock on the connector. This makes it a thousand times easier to reinstall the turn signals because you are not fighting the tension of the wiring harness.

Ok, the install... took my time and overall, it took about 50 minutes. The only surprise was in pushing the lamp to PWM connector, these connectors are tight (yes use dielectric grease as mentioned in this thread) but one of the male pins on the Lamp side pushed out of the back of the connector - simply use a screw driver to push it back in. This sometimes happens with any tight connector - I don't consider this a product flaw - I actually consider this a good thing as it shows a tight connection. I also chose to wrap the PWM/headlamp connector in electrical tape. 3,000 years from now archeologists will confirm that connection is still closed tightly.

Pictures (that's why we are all here, isn't it?) This is my first time posting pictures so here goes
Left side is OEM, right side Trucklites
LOW BEAMS
Attachment 644031
HIGH BEAMS
Attachment 644032
JEEP FRONT APPEARANCE
Attachment 644033
LOW BEAMS WITH FOG LANPS ON
Attachment 644034

Needless to say, the difference between OEM and Trucklites is unbelievable. Yes, they are expensive, but figure out how much you will spend frankensteining some other some solution using wiring harnesses and capacitors or other PWM's and then consider the Trucklite price at Northridge 4x4 . My opinion: It wasn't all that big a jump considering what you're getting over and above what you might have settled for. I did and I'm glad I went with these, they are awesome.

The only down side is that my poor fog lights which used to be the brightest bulb on my Jeep, now look dingy against the insanely white Trucklite light.

Thanks again to everyone in the thread for all the information and encouragement.
Awesome. They are killer lights. I watched the entire headlight shoot out from HR. All the Chinese crap is just that, crap. Can't even get the lumens the stock lights do. Out of the good lights, the JW has a little better low beam power but the truck lite has a substantial high beam light compared to the JW....even the new evo's. Plus even though they rave about the TLs low beam it has like 4 or 5 different colors in its beam pattern. Annoying and not great for lighting. The TL IMO is the over all winner of the lighting that's available now. The only negative is the x pattern that's only visable when close to an object. If you have them aimed correctly, you don't seeing while driving. Its just the LED mount leaving a little shadow in the beam.

Overall once you put them on Highbeam, they are amazing. low beam they are a great improvement over stock as well.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really amazing the difference even in the connectors compared to the Chinese junk. I helped a friend install some crap from eBay that came from China and the wiring and connections were garbage.
He was there when I installed my TL'S and was shocked at the difference.

No better color than these unless you prefer 18 different hues ...get the JW'S

Quick Reply: Considering Trucklites from Northridge 4x4