Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Considering Trucklites from Northridge 4x4

Old 03-24-2016, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Trucklites from Northridge 4x4

Currently have a 2013 JK just leaving warranty so it's time to start personalization. In reality, my first upgrade is because it''s embarrassing to have the deer on the side of the road laugh at you when you drive by because they know you didn't see them until you passed them. In my estimation, the headlights are the ONLY feature on the 2013 JK that I don't feel is up to par with my expectation of Jeep.

Anyway, I'm looking at the new-ish Trucklite 7" round heated LED's. I'm still undecided on going with a PWM or a separate harness to get rid of flicker. I'm leaning towards the PWM because it's simpler. I like simple. Trucklites aren't cheap, but by the time you do some other option, you're within striking range of the Trucklites price, so why not.

I'm also looking at using Northridge 4x4 since they not only sell Jeep oriented products, they are deeply involved with the Jeep community and almost everything I've read on them is positive.

Basically I'm trolling for comments about either the Trucklites, PWM vs Harness or satisfaction with Northridge 4x4.

Proud to be a Jeep orner for 19+ years! Live long and wave on!!!
Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just use truck lites anti flicker. That's all you need. That being said the plugs are not that great. I just chopped off the ones on my wireing harness and solidered the wires together, leaving the connections on the light side, so I could unplug the lights. No big deal, if you need to go back to stock just make sure you keep a bit of wire on the plug side after you cut so you can re connect. You will not experience any blackouts then. That is where all the truck lite blackout issues arise from. The plug connection between the Jeep and anti flicker.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepRocks
Currently have a 2013 JK just leaving warranty so it's time to start personalization. In reality, my first upgrade is because it''s embarrassing to have the deer on the side of the road laugh at you when you drive by because they know you didn't see them until you passed them. In my estimation, the headlights are the ONLY feature on the 2013 JK that I don't feel is up to par with my expectation of Jeep.

Anyway, I'm looking at the new-ish Trucklite 7" round heated LED's. I'm still undecided on going with a PWM or a separate harness to get rid of flicker. I'm leaning towards the PWM because it's simpler. I like simple. Trucklites aren't cheap, but by the time you do some other option, you're within striking range of the Trucklites price, so why not.

I'm also looking at using Northridge 4x4 since they not only sell Jeep oriented products, they are deeply involved with the Jeep community and almost everything I've read on them is positive.

Basically I'm trolling for comments about either the Trucklites, PWM vs Harness or satisfaction with Northridge 4x4.

Proud to be a Jeep orner for 19+ years! Live long and wave on!!!
I just got the trucklites from NR and love them. Got the antiflicker also.

Next to my friend's JW'S I honestly think these are much better.

Better color...more white than the bluish JW and look better for sure.

Also when we parked next to each other mine had a wider spread for sure.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:28 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Been running these lights for over two yrs and what a difference they make out here in the deep dark desert. The good news to me was that the temperature of the lights matched my rigids damn near perfectly.

Since you are in PA and they get that white fluffy stuff falling from the sky I would recommend getting the TLs with the heating element. An issue with the LED's is they don't generate enough heat to keep the lenses clear of frost and other cold stuff, think its called ICE. LOL..

As stated, these are plug and play but do check your headlight alignment when done installing. When you first use these lights you will notice an X pattern where the beams cross, after about a 100 miles you won't notice it anymore as you will now be able to see that deer stalking you from the side of the road.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
I just got the trucklites from NR and love them. Got the antiflicker also.

Next to my friend's JW'S I honestly think these are much better.

Better color...more white than the bluish JW and look better for sure.

Also when we parked next to each other mine had a wider spread for sure.
Agreed 100%!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Going with the plan!

Kojack, JayswranglerX, DaK - Thank you all for the really quick and complete replies. You've confirmed whet I was hoping was true.

Kojak, Thanks for the extra tip on the hard wiring. Likely going to do that also since we get some temperature extremes where I am (about 15 miles North of Pittsburgh, PA) so I could be looking at anywhere from +100 to -20 degrees - tends to loosen up connections.

Ok folks, TL's, PWM and Northridge 4X4 it is. I'll report back after I get them in,

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

No problem. Make sure you use dielectric grease in the light connection as well. Also, don't forget the heat option. I am in Newfoundland and bought truck lites before the heat option was available. I have to stop a lot of the times in snow to clean off the lights. But you will Love the light these put out. Its awesome compared to anything I have seen in a headlight. I had my truck lites next to jw speakers to do a side by side, and the truck lite is much better contrary to popular belief of so called lighting experts.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Default Going with the plan

Originally Posted by Kojack
No problem. Make sure you use dielectric grease in the light connection as well. Also, don't forget the heat option. I am in Newfoundland and bought truck lites before the heat option was available. I have to stop a lot of the times in snow to clean off the lights. But you will Love the light these put out. Its awesome compared to anything I have seen in a headlight. I had my truck lites next to jw speakers to do a side by side, and the truck lite is much better contrary to popular belief of so called lighting experts.
Thanks Kojac. Yep on the heating element. That's the reason I ruled out LED's early on and I was thrilled to see Trucklite come out with them a few months ago - the fact that they are temperature sensitive is a big bonus as they're not on all of the time. Since it's leading edge, it will be a big risk on how long they will last but I'm betting on Trucklite's record.
Appreciate the comments!
Old 03-25-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepRocks
Kojack, JayswranglerX, DaK - Thank you all for the really quick and complete replies. You've confirmed whet I was hoping was true.

Kojak, Thanks for the extra tip on the hard wiring. Likely going to do that also since we get some temperature extremes where I am (about 15 miles North of Pittsburgh, PA) so I could be looking at anywhere from +100 to -20 degrees - tends to loosen up connections.

Ok folks, TL's, PWM and Northridge 4X4 it is. I'll report back after I get them in,

Thanks again!!!
You got it man. That's why we're here!
Old 03-27-2016, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Got mine from NR with the antifliker. Great lights from a great dealer

Quick Reply: Considering Trucklites from Northridge 4x4