Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Connection for reverse lights in trailer included with Mopar 7 pin trailer harness?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Connection for reverse lights in trailer included with Mopar 7 pin trailer harness?

I have the towing package which includes the 4 pin connector. I plan to add the 7 pin harness to gain the 12 VDC connection for the battery on board the trailer and a heavier ground than comes with the 4 pin harness. The trailer (Jeep Extreme Trail pop-up) is light enough that it doesn't need brakes and so I will not be installing a brake controller.

The trailer has backup lights and I would prefer that they operate when I am backing the trailer.

Those of you with the Mopar 7-pin trailer harness - does the backup lights on your trailer work?

Thanks for any information.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 7 pin and 4 pin also, the reverse lights on trailer should come on if you are plugged into 7 pin. The dealer had to flash computer when I had 7 pin installed so that system would expect to see the current draw from the trailer lights. Doug
Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dwlb
The dealer had to flash computer when I had 7 pin installed so that system would expect to see the current draw from the trailer lights. Doug
I hope they didn't charge you anything for that part of the service.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 7 pin and 4 pin also, the reverse lights on trailer should come on if you are plugged into 7 pin. The dealer had to flash computer when I had 7 pin installed so that system would expect to see the current draw from the trailer lights. Doug
Really? I haven't done this (didn't know I needed to) after installing the Mopar 7 pin kit myself and haven't had any problems.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Doug.

The Jeep came with the towing package and the 4 pin connector so I'd believe that the computer would already expect any additional current draw. The trailer has a 7 pin plug and I used a 7 to 4 pin adapter to drive the trailer home. The brake, running, and turn signals worked well.

Rather than convert the trailer to 4 pin, I would like to add the 7 pin harness to the Jeep to add the 12 volt power and be able to activate the backup lights. I also have a Tundra that when I connect to the trailer provides the 12 volts and turns on the backup lights when I put the truck into reverse.

What I am looking for is postive feedback that the Mopar 7 pin harness includes the connection from the backup lights on the Jeep to the harness.

Thanks,

Kent

Quick Reply: Connection for reverse lights in trailer included with Mopar 7 pin trailer harness?