Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Concern about new Light Bar

Old 02-06-2016, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of curiosity though. Did you just drop off your Jeep and say can you please install this? Or did you actually talk to them about how the install was going to take place, as wires are a big part of it?

I wouldn't drop my Jeep off and just tell someone to install something, especially electrical, without figuring out how the wires are going to be ran.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
If you run the power wire to the positive terminal of the first light, and then from the positive terminal of the first light to the positive terminal of the second light, etc., one light failing will not cause them all to go out. Additionally, assuming the mounting bracket is bolted into structure which it should be and since there are currently 5 wires for 5 lights, each light should be grounded directly to the bracket. In other words, I'm pretty sure I could wire the whole array up with one wire.

Yup... I think so too. And if there is a hole in the pipe at each mounting position, I think with some patience and a bit of that cheap bailing wire you can get at Harbor Freight as a wire fish, you could pull the wire through the pipe and completely get rid of the casing.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be pissed too. And i cant believe they drilled through the cowl like that...
Old 02-07-2016, 02:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Yup... I think so too. And if there is a hole in the pipe at each mounting position, I think with some patience and a bit of that cheap bailing wire you can get at Harbor Freight as a wire fish, you could pull the wire through the pipe and completely get rid of the casing.
Exactly how I would do it.

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-07-2016 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did review each step before I left, but didn't get that technical during the meeting. It's been a "live and learn" experience for me, but that doesn't excuse the shop owner. As mentioned earlier, I verified my contact information and told them to call if any problems came up during the day. This was a big problem. They admitted it was a problem when trying to run the wires inside the tube first. However, instead of stopping and calling me, the owner made an executive decision to proceed with my current set up. Bottom line, they should have called me or left the equipment in the box.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The drilled hole in the cowl is just lazy. I would be ripe about that. Just no need for it.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Found a Jeep today with your lights Done right

I took a picture of your lights on a JKU Sport today that was done right. The wires are ran down the tube and comes out with the plastic tubing and through the crack no drilling was done. This is how I would have done it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3730.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	636932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3731.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	636933  
Old 02-07-2016, 03:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's how I did my a-pillar lights. No need to drill a hole in the cowl. But the wiring for the lights up the bracket was amateur, and of course, the HUGE hole drilled in the cowl. The whole install, actually, is not what I would expect from a well rated shop.

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-07-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I took a picture of your lights on a JKU Sport today that was done right. The wires are ran down the tube and comes out with the plastic tubing and through the crack no drilling was done. This is how I would have done it.
Thanks for the pictures. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read all the posts, but your wiring looks kinda goofy lol. I wouldn't drive that around anywhere without saying its a temp job just to 'test' out the lights

Sure its 'difficult' as in it takes longer to fish a wire through a pipe then it does to just zip tie it like a blob to the pipe. I've just used normal string in the past. Drill small hole, put string in, vacuum on other end, pull string through, tie string to cable and pull

I would be upset paying someone and have my Jeep returned like that

Quick Reply: Concern about new Light Bar