Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Concern about new Light Bar

Old 02-06-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ground wire

Originally Posted by 14Sport
How many wires are in that casing?! They could have daisy chained the lights and used less wiring which is easier to hide/fish. I agree, looks like a hack job.
The lights can all share the same ground wire. But I recommend you run a positive wire for each light. Doing this makes troubleshooting a problem easier. Plus if one light go's out they all don't go out. Yes space looks limited but it can be done with a little drilling and some time.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you run the power wire to the positive terminal of the first light, and then from the positive terminal of the first light to the positive terminal of the second light, etc., one light failing will not cause them all to go out. Additionally, assuming the mounting bracket is bolted into structure which it should be and since there are currently 5 wires for 5 lights, each light should be grounded directly to the bracket. In other words, I'm pretty sure I could wire the whole array up with one wire.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
If you run the power wire to the positive terminal of the first light, and then from the positive terminal of the first light to the positive terminal of the second light, etc., one light failing will not cause them all to go out. Additionally, assuming the mounting bracket is bolted into structure which it should be and since there are currently 5 wires for 5 lights, each light should be grounded directly to the bracket. In other words, I'm pretty sure I could wire the whole array up with one wire.
I thought about actually grounding to the mount as you recommended. I'm not sure if thats a good ground but it would probably work. Running one common Positive would work but would require a lot of soldering. To me its easier to just run the 5 lines down the tube to the relay with one common ground. Great thing about DC electrical is along as the electrons can make a full loop back to the source the way you wire it can be whatever you want.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I thought about actually grounding to the mount as you recommended. I'm not sure if thats a good ground but it would probably work. Running one common Positive would work but would require a lot of soldering. To me its easier to just run the 5 lines down the tube to the relay with one common ground. Great thing about DC electrical is along as the electrons can make a full loop back to the source the way you wire it can be whatever you want.
Yup. Lots of options.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all the options on fixing this mess. Thank You!
Old 02-06-2016, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

BTW Here is my Jeep with new JCR Vanguard bumpers, KC Hilights, and Warren winch. Really happy with everything else.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1659597151.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	484.3 KB
ID:	636781  
Old 02-06-2016, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PaulsBoy
BTW Here is my Jeep with new JCR Vanguard bumpers, KC Hilights, and Warren winch. Really happy with everything else.
Looks Awesome!!! I really Like JCR bumpers looks really sharp. I really hope you find someone who can do it right. You have a nice looking Jeep no need for sub-standard work to be done on it.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:54 PM
JK Junkie

It does look good. I'm not sure if it's a time thing or confidence thing, but you can fix this yourself if you really want to. We can help guide you through the wiring if you do have the time and the desire. It's not as hard as you think. But I understand that sometimes it's just easier or more cost effective to have someone else do it depending on your circumstances. But one thing about this forum, we're all ready to help if you need it.

Either way, the Jeep is looking great!
Old 02-06-2016, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

My work and family schedule (3 kids playing sports) keep me from doing projects like this one. Actually sent two posts about my jeep while sitting in the stands today. Time is money, and right now I had rather spend the money to have the family time. Thanks again to everyone helping people like me in this forum. The Jeep community is truly awesome!
Old 02-06-2016, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

My work and family schedule (3 kids playing sports) keep me from doing projects like this one. Actually sent two posts about my jeep while sitting in the stands today. Time is money, and right now I had rather spend the money to have the family time. Thanks again to everyone helping people like me in this forum. The Jeep community is truly awesome!
I totally get it.

Quick Reply: Concern about new Light Bar