Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Concern about new Light Bar

Old 02-05-2016, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concern about new Light Bar

Just bought a KC light bar with 5 lights. A local custom shop was recommended, so I used them for the install. The shop told me it was impossible to run the wires inside the pipe, so this is what I got. When I contacted KC customer service, they confirmed that wires couldn't be ran inside and most people do the install like my attached pictures show. I'm not happy with the look and can't understand why wires can't be ran through a hollow pipe. Also, the horizontal bar has a hole under each of the 5 light mounts. To me this indicates the wires should go inside the pipe. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1337438967.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	473.9 KB
ID:	636715   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1610171344.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	636716   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-130162650.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	470.3 KB
ID:	636717  
Old 02-05-2016, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That can't be right. Wiring looks like sh!t.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Here is the response from KC after viewing the same pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1317824147.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	636718  
Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Holy crap! They cant drill a hole in a hollow tube but they can drill the sheet metal?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PaulsBoy
Just bought a KC light bar with 5 lights. A local custom shop was recommended, so I used them for the install. The shop told me it was impossible to run the wires inside the pipe, so this is what I got. When I contacted KC customer service, they confirmed that wires couldn't be ran inside and most people do the install like my attached pictures show. I'm not happy with the look and can't understand why wires can't be ran through a hollow pipe. Also, the horizontal bar has a hole under each of the 5 light mounts. To me this indicates the wires should go inside the pipe. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.
Doesn't seem right man. Did they ask before drilling a hole in the body?

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 02-06-2016, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

I verified my contact information before I left. They didn't call, text, or email me concerning anything about the install. I also had new bumpers and winch installed on the same day and it's looks good. The guy has a great reputation in the area, and KC Support agrees with the install method used, but I'm very upset about the look and damage to my jeep. I'm taking it to another shop on Monday to try and fix it.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 8 year old kid could have done a better Job than these Hacks. Its called a Fish-tape with some GreenLee Jet line. As for the hole in the front cowling probably would have run it a different way. I love people who say Sh*t can't be done. With enough time a effort anything can be done.. thats the kind of attitude any fabricator installer should have. If they can't do it they should have referred you to someone who could have done it the right way.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many wires are in that casing?! They could have daisy chained the lights and used less wiring which is easier to hide/fish. I agree, looks like a hack job.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Five wires in the casing. Also, the diameter of the casing is much smaller than the actual light bar. As sick and mad as I am about it, my focus is making it right. Maybe the guy Monday can straighten things out for me.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Five wires in the casing. Also, the diameter of the casing is much smaller than the actual light bar. As sick and mad as I am about it, my focus is making it right. Maybe the guy Monday can straighten things out for me.
Good luck. It can be done right so take comfort in that.

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Concern about new Light Bar