Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Climate Control power problem

Old 01-04-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control power problem

I'm desperate for some help so any ideas that will help me track this down will be greatly appreciated!

I am having a problem getting power to my climate control (sometimes) it effects not only climate control but power outlets, emergency flashers, etc. (everything in that panel) Radio works fine.

Now the kicker is sometimes its okay and works (although it seems to always turn off if I turn the heat or a/c on high. It makes me think that it has something to do with how much power it is pulling.

Sometimes if I turn my lights on it will kill the power to that area. Sometimes it works fine.

Sometimes the power turns off if I hit a hard bump or vice versa. I find myself looking for pot holes when its not working and avoiding every bump when it is.

It seems like it happens randomly. This morning it worked all the way in to the office, when I ran out for lunch it didn't.

I tried replacing the climate control module tonight but no dice. Same problem.

Can a low battery cause this? I had a problem a few weeks ago where the jeep randomly wouldn't start and I had to jump it.

It's getting to that time of year were I'm going to need the defrost/heat in the mornings at the very least. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing?

Forgetting all of the other conditions...

Does anybody know what could cause the climate control to lose power when turning the headlights on?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm betting you need to replace your battery. Has the battery ever been replaced? Also was this occurrence from one day to the other?
Old 01-06-2016, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes the battery has been replaced once, a few years ago with a Sears diehard platinum.

As far as when the problem occurs, it seems to be random.

Sometimes I can use my headlights and climate control still has power. However, I feel like anytime I turn the fan all the way up or next to highest setting it turns off.

I tend to not put it higher than the second lowest setting.

Right now the heat doesn't work at all, even with the lights off.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

I would start with changing the battery see if that helps.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Figured it out!

Put a multimeter on the battery and it was good so I just started checking everything.

Looked for any fuses or relays that were loose or not seated properly. Nothing. Until I checked the floor board on the passenger side.

Years ago I installed some LED strips to illuminate the floor boards and apparently the ground I tapped into came loose. Torque that back down nice and tight and everything works No more freezing my arse off on the way into work in the mornings

Should have checked that a month ago!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKduke86
Figured it out!

Put a multimeter on the battery and it was good so I just started checking everything.

Looked for any fuses or relays that were loose or not seated properly. Nothing. Until I checked the floor board on the passenger side.

Years ago I installed some LED strips to illuminate the floor boards and apparently the ground I tapped into came loose. Torque that back down nice and tight and everything works No more freezing my arse off on the way into work in the mornings

Should have checked that a month ago!
Great to hear!

Quick Reply: Climate Control power problem