Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Circuit breaker question

Old 06-15-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circuit breaker question

I bought a wagon gear relay block for the my 2012. The Idea is that I will relay all of my accessories off it. (BTW, its very nice and I highly recommend it.)
http://www.wagongear.com/WiredWagon_...layBlock_1.JPG

I would like to have some sort of switched Circuit breaker/Relay/? between it and the battery so that when the key is turned on this relay block become "Hot." I have seen these before, but cant remember where or what they are called. Suggestions?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

I would probably use a relay for that...
A relay has two sides:
a switching side, (which activates the relay contact)
And a current side (wires that are connected when contact activates)

Depending on what you will be running, you might be able to pick up a
general aux fan relay kit, usually 30A or so.

For the wiring, the switching side would tap into a wire on the ignition that is hot with key on, other side to ground, and on the current side would be the hot wire from the battery to the relay other side relay to panel. The panel ground would go directly to the battery.

Also make sure there is a fuse inline on the hot wire from the battery that runs to the relay...closer to the battery the better.

Make sense? Although i assume NO RESPONSIBILITY if you try wiring and fry something..
Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flienlow
I bought a wagon gear relay block for the my 2012. The Idea is that I will relay all of my accessories off it. (BTW, its very nice and I highly recommend it.)
http://www.wagongear.com/WiredWagon_...layBlock_1.JPG

I would like to have some sort of switched Circuit breaker/Relay/? between it and the battery so that when the key is turned on this relay block become "Hot." I have seen these before, but cant remember where or what they are called. Suggestions?
You do need a fuse between the battery and the new relay block. But you don't necessarily need a relay in that location. There is a much easier way to acomplish the same goal. Just use an accessory circuit to control the relays with in the new relay block.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
You do need a fuse between the battery and the new relay block. But you don't necessarily need a relay in that location. There is a much easier way to acomplish the same goal. Just use an accessory circuit to control the relays with in the new relay block.
Hummmmm..... You are saying run all of the exciter wires to a single 12v switched source? And then the bigger wires would go to the load?

So it would go: 12V SWITCHED POWER SOURCE====TO TOGGLE SWITCH======TO RELAY++++RELAY TO LOAD ??
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flienlow
Hummmmm..... You are saying run all of the exciter wires to a single 12v switched source? And then the bigger wires would go to the load?

So it would go: 12V SWITCHED POWER SOURCE====TO TOGGLE SWITCH======TO RELAY++++RELAY TO LOAD ??
Yes. Your control power ( for switches and relays ) would be supplied from the Jeep Accessory circuit.
The primary power ( for lighting ) would be supplied from the battery.

Quick Reply: Circuit breaker question