Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Cigarette Lighter Problem

Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter Problem

I blew the passenger side cigarette lighter (not just the fuse) by connecting 2 strands of net Christmas lights (the kind you put on your bushes) via power inverter. Mechanic replaced (both) cigarette lighters, but it gets such low amps it won't even charge my cell phone. Now I’m having problems turning the engine over. Is it a coincidence? Why won't the lighter get as many amps as it did before?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4 It
I blew the passenger side cigarette lighter (not just the fuse) by connecting 2 strands of net Christmas lights (the kind you put on your bushes) via power inverter. Mechanic replaced (both) cigarette lighters, but it gets such low amps it won't even charge my cell phone. Now I’m having problems turning the engine over. Is it a coincidence? Why won't the lighter get as many amps as it did before?
so you had an external power inverter and plugged that into the cigarette outlet? usually the fuse on the inverter would blow before it even reached your socket. did your mechanic use the oem socket? did he replace the oem fuse with the same original amperage? did any other fuses blow when this happened? check the wiring for any melt spots or damage. hopefully the battery didnt get damaged at all. seems like its just a coincidence but there might be that x factor that caused an overlooked defect.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

If no fuses blow on the jeep end,check the fuseable link near the battery

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter Problem