Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

CHR 550 lockpick / 2011 430N unit

Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHR 550 lockpick / 2011 430N unit

I have read on other forums of problems with the navigation programming while driving as well as some gremlins appearing with the backup cameras that the company sells.

Since the chr 550 came out, verses a software upgraded V3 unit, have all the issues been resolved with the 2011 430n unit? I don't want to buy this if members here are having issues. I would rather wait until the company fixes the issues with the 2011. Any CHR550 owners/guinea pigs have a tale to tell?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also thinking of getting the CHR550... but it would be nice to know if it does work properly in the 430N. (Any one brave enough to get one yet?)
Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default Chr-550

Got a CHR-550 in this week and installed it plus a headrest screen last pm. No problems with operation so far. I bent a pin in the lockpick harness on the first attempt at installing. I should have been sober i guess Anyway, no issues on try #2. Works as promised with RHB Nav unit 430N. I will post an update in a week.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see where you mounted a headrest screen.

Any concerns with the usage, have you tried the iPod cable with it? (I'm not terribly impressed with the build-in uconnect iPod integration.)
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Good to hear Dripwaldo. With that in mind, I am going to order a chr 550. Did you or anyone else get the backup camera(s)? Any ingenious mounting locations or lessons learned? My plan is to order the license plate mount camera unless I hear differently from this forum.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2011 mygig removal

I am going to pull the trigger on the CH550. I am also curious if anyone had the license plate camera... how does it work and where did you run the wires?

Also could someone offer some guidance on how to remove the 2011 mygig for the lockpick install? I pulled one out of a 2009 in just a few minutes. The 2011 is completely different. I found one screw under the top rubber tray. Hate trying to pry the plastic without knowing what needs to be removed.
Cheers

Last edited by mcdona90; 01-24-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drjpwaldo
...and installed it plus a headrest screen last pm.

I will post an update in a week.
DW-
Which headrest screen did you purchase? I just ordered the license plate mounted camera. I would love to add that in the future for the kiddos.

How has the the 550 lockpick worked over this week?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Update:
installed the 550 CHR this morning. No major troubles during the install. I took cell phone pics during disassembly of the dash/radio if anyone needs help. I mounted the lockpick unit inside the glovebox for easy access. I tested the unit and it works flawlessly. I also ordered the rear camera with IR and depth markings, and it worked great. Mounting is an issue on 2011 JK's. (see below)

Note- the license plate camera sold by coastal does NOT fit the 2011 license plate holder. THe license plate bulb enclosure interferes with the mounting position. I'm currently looking at mounting it somewhere within the spare or on the trailer hitch in some way.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sacamuelas
Update:
installed the 550 CHR this morning. No major troubles during the install. I took cell phone pics during disassembly of the dash/radio if anyone needs help. I mounted the lockpick unit inside the glovebox for easy access. I tested the unit and it works flawlessly. I also ordered the rear camera with IR and depth markings, and it worked great. Mounting is an issue on 2011 JK's. (see below)

Note- the license plate camera sold by coastal does NOT fit the 2011 license plate holder. THe license plate bulb enclosure interferes with the mounting position. I'm currently looking at mounting it somewhere within the spare or on the trailer hitch in some way.
Thanks for the good info sacamuelas!
Could you please send or post the pics?
Cheers
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Any issues with u-connect after 550 lockpick install? I read a few posts about it not working. I have the option from the factory, thinking some of those issues are adding the mic etc. Thanks.

Quick Reply: CHR 550 lockpick / 2011 430N unit