Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Chipping the ECU or buying a tuner?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipping the ECU or buying a tuner?

I passed the 36,000 mile warranty on Friday, so it's time to start tinkering! I would like to either chip my ECU or buy a tuner you plug into the OBD II port. What do you guys suggest. I don't even know if this is the right place to post this. I would like something under $300 preferably unless you strongly suggest an item over that limit. I am looking for both horsepower gains and fuel mileage gains because I do 70+ miles a day in my JK. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would pass on the chip. I would definitely go with a programmer for true gains in performance and tunability. If money is tight you could pick up a used one. Always some for sale in the classifieds
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would pass on the chip. I would definitely go with a programmer for true gains in performance and tunability. If money is tight you could pick up a used one. Always some for sale in the classifieds
I was thinking about just going for the tuner. I see quadratec has a Superchips programmer for $340 so I might just splurge and go for it. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001
The Superchips is about $340. But used you can find them for $250-275. Just make sure the seller set his back to the stock tune or it will need to be unlocked for $100
I might just splurge and go for the new $340 tuner. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dmckoltrane

I was thinking about just going for the tuner. I see quadratec has a Superchips programmer for $340 so I might just splurge and go for it. Thanks for the help!
Good choice. You will like it...it is definitely a noticeable improvement
Old 01-23-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a rubicon, you could get the hypertech to get full control of your lockers and swaybar disco

Quick Reply: Chipping the ECU or buying a tuner?