Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Chip Key?

Old 12-10-2015, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Key?

I was just wondering if there is anyway to get rid of the chip key, and ring on the ignition. I am just wondering if it is possible. Just trying to avoid more electronic issues down the road.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by metaldemon
I was just wondering if there is anyway to get rid of the chip key, and ring on the ignition. I am just wondering if it is possible. Just trying to avoid more electronic issues down the road.
Just curious have you ever heard of this failing on a JK?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

The chip in my key went bad once. You could bang it around and it would work sometimes. The spare key still works. I'm not sure if you could switch it to "chipless" but you can buy a new key for $15 on amazon and have a stealership program it for around $50
Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Waldo_88
The chip in my key went bad once. You could bang it around and it would work sometimes. The spare key still works. I'm not sure if you could switch it to "chipless" but you can buy a new key for $15 on amazon and have a stealership program it for around $50
Actually, if you have two working keys (that the jeep recognizes) you can add a third (or more) yourself without going to the dealership.

See post #2 in this thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...e-keys-174902/
Old 12-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

To an extent you can get rid of it. Fastening a key to the column, under the plastic, will allow you to insert and use any regular key so long as it is keyed correctly.

Replacement keys are $6 on eBay and home depot cuts them for free, programming is also free provided you have two current keys. You may have up to eight keys.

The sensor is around your ignition and it just looks for the chip ID from your key. That chip prevents a theft even if someone has a copy of your key.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by metaldemon
Are you sure you and your insurance company and all the fellow Jeepers in the insurance pool of money are cool with you making YOUR Jeep easier to steal?
WHY?
If you do it then me and every other owner will live with the stats of how easy a Jeep is to steal and our rates go up.
Don't be silly and f... your friends.
Let's get real here. You drop a chip key into the column. 16 year old kid that's never heard of a chip key pops your key cylinder and drives away. Hits another vehicle and runs. Guess who's in s..t when they figure out how he/she was able to steal it so easily

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 12-10-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Chip Key?