Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Check engine light when using winch

Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light when using winch

So every time i use my winch i get a check engine light and my esp turns on. The code it throws is the camshaft position sensor error etc... Is this typical and im assuming it is throwing a code just because of the battery being drawn down. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Does your winch have a dedicated ground wire back to the battery? Or is it grounded to the body/frame?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I haven't had this problem, but battery drain is drolly a good guess as to why it is throwing a code. I run dedicated lines to power and ground from the winch fyi if that helps. Also running a red top optima if that makes any difference, let's not get into the battery debate tho, just trying to help find the problem.
I asked about the dedicated lines because there is a chance grounding such a heavy load to the body/frame may cause problems with the onboard electronics.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by karls10jk
^ did not know that, my winch just came with enough cable so I figured I might as well run it up to the battery
Like I said, it may cause problems. I don't know for sure.
Someone posted that while using his winch, the rear brake lines burned up. His winch was grounded to the chassis. That's an indication the electronics may also be at risk.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its grounded back to the battery. As long as i keep it tached up a lil i have no probs so looks like dual batterys for me or superchips with idle up is on the to do list

Quick Reply: Check engine light when using winch