Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

center dash console

Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center dash console

Anyone know how to take the center dash console apart with an automatic transmission so i can get to the wires behind the plastic. Trying to wire my clinometer up to the dash lights. I've already looked at some threads about this but the pics are to small and hard to follow. All i need to know is how to take this off without breaking the plastic.

thanks,
Adam
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need to remove the top piece. (the thing people replace with a Daystar panel) A table knife (not sharp) or a panel tool can be used to remove it, the part of the panel near the windshield will pop up, then tip it towards the inside of the jeep and you can wiggle it free. The jeeps compass is screwed to the bottom of it so you cant remove it entirely without unscrewing that (but you dont need to, just set it up on the dash.

The bottom of the center stack has a blank panel, (again, people replace this with a Daystar switch panel) the top of that piece will pop out using your fingers or a small tool such as the panel tool or table knife.

Once those are off, there are four 7mm i think bolts that hold the plastic panel in place. Two top, two bottom. Remove those and pull the panel free; It does have clips on it so it will pop free, you can only pull it out a small ways though as the heater controls are stuck to the back of it, but there is enough room to get to some of the wiring back there.

EDIT: I dont know for sure, but Daystar's site MIGHT show how to remove the panels in the install instructions for thier panels.

BE CAREFULL with whatever tool you use, the damn plastic scratches VERY easily ~ mines toast.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-09-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

awesome thanks... i'll have to give this a shot sometime today.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

This web site will give you step by step instructions and video.
www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-10-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: removed hyperlink
Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
You'll need to remove the top piece. (the thing people replace with a Daystar panel) A table knife (not sharp) or a panel tool can be used to remove it, the part of the panel near the windshield will pop up, then tip it towards the inside of the jeep and you can wiggle it free. The jeeps compass is screwed to the bottom of it so you cant remove it entirely without unscrewing that (but you dont need to, just set it up on the dash. {snip}
Happy is right on with his instructions with one minor exception, you can unplug the compass and leave it attached to the center cap. Also a very strong word of caution here... you can screw up your cables to your AC/HEAT controls if you are not very careful. If you pull or twist those cables it will usually result in your controls getting stuck and having the dealer fix it.... I speak from experience on this one.

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 03-10-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt know there was a plug on there, good to know!

I accidentally slipped a gear on my heater thermostat last I had that off and now the heat wont totally shut off, I need to fix that one of these days. Winter now anyhow so no hurry.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

good to know.... anybody have any instructions on how to wire the clinometer up with details and pictures... i can't seem to find anything good on the website that helps me.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you need to sire the clinometer to? Power? Ground? Illumination? What else is there?

For power you can vampire tap everything you need. For power you can use either lighter socket. The passenger side is always on. The driver side is switched with the ignition.

You can tap the ground in the same location.

For illumination there is a ORG/GRY wire in the bundle at the back of the HVAC controls. You can tap that to trigger the gauge illumination. You might get lucky and find that the gauge can be dimmed.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vernnz
For illumination there is a ORG/GRY...
I read that as ORGY at first and was like WTF?

Quick Reply: center dash console