Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

CB install

Old 07-05-2021, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CB install

Hi Everyone. I was teetering about install locations before and then found realjeep post, with quite impressive experience. I seemed to not be able to add images to a private message, so I am getting this out there the only way I know how.

I cant get my SWR reading any lower, what can I or should I do?
below is that I did.

The set up.... previous note was thinking of location and thinking about the side wall of the steel panel with the flares. That since has changed.

I chose to take that stupid bracket and use it anyway and had my friend flatten the bend out of it for me. I bolted it straight to the hard top threaded hole and drilled a new hole down with a good nut underneath. Works great with the soft top, and keeps the tuck under and the slope of the rain out. Not sure how much I will need the CB during the winter with the hard top, but considering notching the hard top to keep this location..... if it all works out.

I ran a nice 8 ga. ground wire soldered ends down through a new dedicated hole and snaked it out to the bolt to the bumper mount to the frame.
I have a great ground, I have a completely isolated top half of the antenna mount through the bracket hole with zero ground registering off the top half.
The antenna cable runs the length of the passenger side floor to the front dash unit.
The power and ground is wired direct to the battery. It is a pretty clean and neat hook up.

I powered it up, and used the SWR meter.
I had to lengthen the antenna screw. In a completely isolated area, with no building around, the jeep running, the doors closed.
Channel 1, Channel 40 = (each adjustment)
Initial = (6,4)
lowered it down (7,5)
Raised it up (6,2)
up (5,1)
up again it went to (4,2)
Down a little settled on (3,1.5) with channel 20 being = 1
Not sure how I can adjust it any more or differently.

Not sure what else I can do to maximize my set up. What do you think?

Old 07-05-2021, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

I don't know a lot about CB's but my radio tech friend always said that you must have a good metal ground plane for the radio waves to bounce off and be directed into the antenna. This can be in the form of a hood, trunk or roof. Seeing as with Jeeps we only have the stock hood option of these three then I suggest you move it to either in front of or beside the hood like my son and I did. We can talk about a mile to each other in the bush and about 3 miles on the street. You will find setting the SWR on the antenna more consistent then.

Quick Reply: CB install