Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Can you disable the TPMS system via a physical switch

Old 11-12-2022, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
My chime in was just related to the tangent question, but I would submit to everyone that it takes a hell lot more to unseat a bead than might think, even if going as low as 12-15psi without beadlocks.....or basically what I'm saying here is the TPMS alert is really only pavement-related IMO. Even when airing down that low it takes some real sideways force to roll that tire and pop the bead. The whole point of lowering the threshold alert for me is for folks that run lower tire pressures with larger tires. I run my 37s around 26-27 psi cold, and when I had 35s it was more like 29-30. It gets annoying to see that alert when you have your tires right where you want them for normal driving on pavement.
I get all that, but maybe I should rephrase. The whole point of the TPMS system is to warn you if you have a leak right? So my point was that you should have a switch that sets the TPMS cutoff to just below your normal psi and just below your air-down psi so you can be warned about a leak. What exactly happens under those psis was not important, just that if it goes below those its bad for the tire.
The following users liked this post:
Montego (11-12-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Montego
I often air down to 17 for washboard trails & rocks, and much lower for loose blow sand.

I think you can program the TPMS PSI warning level to whatever you want to via an app & an iCar Pro Bluetooth LE bluetooth thingie inserted into the ODB port. It's really easy. I used JScan app for iOS or Android and the Bluetooth thing they highly recommended. Cost was something like $30 for the Bluetooth ODB thing & $20 for the JScan app (per vehicle VIN#). Well worth it & there are a number of other fun adjustments you can do too. Plus it's a code reader, & you can use it to program new keys!

You do not need to leave the ODB thing attached, it is just connected while you are making changes.
App: https://jscan.net/jeep-wrangler-jk/
And I bought this ODB thing; https://amzn.to/3WOT2zz
depends on the year of the Jeep, my 2011 Jscan says Tpms adjustment is not available. Just ordered my OBDII reader today and reading up on it that was the disappointing part. Not enough of a big deal to upgrade my ride though, I love my older Jeep

Quick Reply: Can you disable the TPMS system via a physical switch