Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Can stock radio be wired for sub and amp if not what is the next best thing???

Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran an audio pipe off the passenger side speakers, as that is where both wires come thru. The pipe connected to the rca cables in the sound bar and ran the rca cable thru thr roll bar padding into the storage tray. It sounds great and pounds. I wanted a good bass sound, not loud. So the power from the rear speakers works great and was convenient. It is an older Bazooka 300 watt amp and a new 10" Kicker comp sub. I am more than happy with the set up. Although, I am not a rapper either!!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 81toyota
Bought a Sound Ordnance powered 8" sub. Uses speaker level inputs and it fits right under passenger seat. Good addition to the stock system. I found a head unit wiring diagram in another thread and tapped into a pair of speaker wires on the back of the head unit.
Thank you so much for suggesting the Sound Ordnance powered sub. I just ordered one. So excited to find a sub that will fit beneath a seat. Awesome find, exactly what I was searching for. Got one ordered for $159 shipped!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just an FYI - if you are changing out the front 6.5s use that is the time to splice into the wires for a line output converter. I had to reopen my dash today but couldn't remove the pods because of the dynamat creating a wedge on the space they sit in.
You might also want to use this as a time to splice into the tweeter wires of you will be using a crossover. Again, the lack of space I created for myself made it more of a PITA then it needed to be. There are a couple of nice hiding places for crossovers in the front though. If anyone wants pics let me know.
I ended up having to splice into the soundbar for my LOC. The nice thing is how neatly it fits in the space at the bottom of the seatbelt column. I'll finish hooking the amp up soon- hopefully it sounds ok.

Quick Reply: Can stock radio be wired for sub and amp if not what is the next best thing???