Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Can stock radio be wired for sub and amp if not what is the next best thing???

Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JOSH27
Not exactly. If he does not have the infinity system, it needs to be spliced into the left and right speaker wires. And if he does have the infinity system, it needs to be spliced into the wires for the factory sub AFTER the factory amp because the amp is crossed over to not play low frequencies to the speakers in the dash and soundbar so you cannot splice into those wires. If it is spliced into the left and right BEFORE the amp, you will not be able to controll the volume of the subs (stereo can be at 0 volume and subs will be at max volume).
i don't have the infinity sound system i have the stock system
Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

You need a line out converter. Do you have the infinity system?
stock system not infinity
Old 12-23-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What they said: LOC,tapped into front speaker wires out of HU, and get one with remote trigger to turn on the amp. Power the amp direct from fuse off battery.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're just putting subs in, you can do as others stated and get a line out converter but every time I've used one I find they diminish the sound quality.
I would rather use an amp that has high input already built in. Then just run a remote wire to the fuse block and just remove the stereo fuse or power window fuse, place the stripped remote wire along side the fuse prong and re install the fuse, it will hold the wire in place nice and snug and can easily be removed in the future.this should power on and off your amp whenever the stereo would normally turn on and off
splice the factory sub wire for amp signal if you have factory sub, if not then splice into the factory speaker others suggested for amp signal..just my .02

Last edited by efan450; 12-23-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
What they said: LOC,tapped into front speaker wires out of HU, and get one with remote trigger to turn on the amp. Power the amp direct from fuse off battery.
You can just splice the remote wire into any switch and turn your amp on and off at any time. I prefer this that way your sub switch can look just like all your other switches. Run the remote wire off your driver side cig plug. It is only powered when the jeep is on.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not exactly. If he does not have the infinity system, it needs to be spliced into the left and right speaker wires. And if he does have the infinity system, it needs to be spliced into the wires for the factory sub AFTER the factory amp because the amp is crossed over to not play low frequencies to the speakers in the dash and soundbar so you cannot splice into those wires. If it is spliced into the left and right BEFORE the amp, you will not be able to controll the volume of the subs (stereo can be at 0 volume and subs will be at max volume).
If he has the infinity system which he does not, splicing into the factory sub wire after the infinity amp will cause distortion and not near of clean sounding system. You do not want to place a converter on a amplified wire your system will not sound near as good as it could, however; your are correct about splicing into the sub wire before the amp and volume control. He will need to splice into the front speaker wires. But with a stock head unit he will not be able to adjust his speakers to the front more to tone down the subs if full bass is not wanted only the bass control on the radio.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by medic_23387
You can just splice the remote wire into any switch and turn your amp on and off at any time. I prefer this that way your sub switch can look just like all your other switches. Run the remote wire off your driver side cig plug. It is only powered when the jeep is on.
Yes, I was just trying to make it as easy as possible....one splice and you're done (other than amp power feed). Even easier was the suggestion of using a powered sub with all this built in, but the choices are limited.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I did this. Make sure you splice into the front speakers. They receive more power than the soundbar speakers.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by medic_23387
If he has the infinity system which he does not, splicing into the factory sub wire after the infinity amp will cause distortion and not near of clean sounding system. You do not want to place a converter on a amplified wire your system will not sound near as good as it could, however; your are correct about splicing into the sub wire before the amp and volume control. He will need to splice into the front speaker wires. But with a stock head unit he will not be able to adjust his speakers to the front more to tone down the subs if full bass is not wanted only the bass control on the radio.
So where is the best place to splice it in on the infinity system? I tried several different spots (before the amp on speakers-volume issue, after the amp on the speakers- no bass, and finally after the amp on the sub wires- works perfect). With it after the amp there is no distortion. I could not find a straight answer online about this, so I had my local audio shop install it. The only place they could get it to work was on the sub wires after the amp. I do vaguely remember them saying over the phone that the signal would be worse on an amplified wire- so not trying to argue that point with you. Just posting my experiences with this issue.

OP, since you do not have the infinity system, you will need to splice the converter into the left and right speaker wires according to the wiring diagram that the converter comes with. As for the remote wire I wired mine to the ignition so the amp turns on when you turn the key to the on position.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

So where is the best place to splice it in on the infinity system? I tried several different spots (before the amp on speakers-volume issue, after the amp on the speakers- no bass, and finally after the amp on the sub wires- works perfect). With it after the amp there is no distortion. I could not find a straight answer online about this, so I had my local audio shop install it. The only place they could get it to work was on the sub wires after the amp. I do vaguely remember them saying over the phone that the signal would be worse on an amplified wire- so not trying to argue that point with you. Just posting my experiences with this issue.

OP, since you do not have the infinity system, you will need to splice the converter into the left and right speaker wires according to the wiring diagram that the converter comes with. As for the remote wire I wired mine to the ignition so the amp turns on when you turn the key to the on position.
Yes, the Infinity amp sub signal is weak enough that you won't see distortion by tapping into the stock sub wires. I did that on my two JKs too when adding subs and they sound great.

Quick Reply: Can stock radio be wired for sub and amp if not what is the next best thing???