Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Can I wire lights to come on ONLY when trunk is open?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I wire lights to come on ONLY when trunk is open?

I recently built a trunk cover for my 2 door and I want to wire some LED strips inside so I can see at night since the dome light doesn't shine under it now.

I primarily have blue LEDs in the jeep but would prefer white LEDs in the trunk area.

My question is, is there a way to wire up lights to come on and go off ONLY with the tailgate, not normally with the dome light. I don't want white light spilling into the blue light when I turn the dome and my other LEDs on.

The dash says "Gate" when it's open, so the CANBUS knows when it opens and closes separate from the doors, and this means there is an electrical signal for it somewhere. That is the signal I need to find.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wire in an external pin switch on the gate and keep it completely seperate of canbus would be the easiest way.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ssm2011
Just wire in an external pin switch on the gate and keep it completely seperate of canbus would be the easiest way.
I thought about that, but where would I put it?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe find a normally closed spring loaded switch you could sneak behind. Im certain there is a variety u can find of all shape and sizes.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

I think I found what in going to use. Oznium carries a IR switch that looks like it will do what I'm wanting

Quick Reply: Can I wire lights to come on ONLY when trunk is open?