Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Can Bus Stereo Wires??

Old 03-23-2007, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it's worth a try, I may just put the everything back to normal, and then just run an aftermarket amp to my sub. by the way, when you get a chance, can you take a look at the bolts that hold the sub in and see how they work? I"m guessing it's something they put in the holes in the body that has treads in it for the bolt, b/c there is no way i can tell to get a nut on the other side of the hole.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey you don't have to mess with the sub mounts, I found something that works perfect, it's these rubber things that have a threaded bottom on them and a wider top and they slide in the holes, and when you put a screw in them they squish up tight against the under side of the metal, and they hold it perfect and there is no metal touching metal so maybe it will help dampen the vibrations so it won't shake stuff and rattle. so i'm good on the sub now, it's mounted and I put some female speaker connectors on the wires so they are good to go, and tomorrow (or maybe later tonight) I will put in an after market amp that I bought, it's a 500 watt mono Bazooka SMS amp, so hopefully If i just run the all the front speakers from the head unit like it was originally and then just tap into the rear out's to feed the amp, and use a remote wire coming off the left cig. lighter (since it only has power when the jeep is on) then I should be cool. Oh, and I'll have to splice some RCA cables b/c the amp only takes RCA's as input.... fun fun... you know which part of the RCA cable is positive and negative? inside them there is one shielded wire wrapped with another wire?? i'm guessing the inside one that is shielded is the positive?? trial and error...

EDIT: they are called Well Nuts size 10/32.

Last edited by ThinkMud; 03-23-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
it wont matter if its backeard as long as they are both the same
It does matter if you splice RCA's backwards, even if you do both the same.
The center wire of the RCA is positive, the outer is ground.
If you get them backwards, its just like wiring your speakers backwards and your added amp/speakers will be out of phase with the stock speakers.
So if your adding an amp/sub, and still using the stock speakers/sub, they will be canceling each other out and you'll be getting less bass then you could be getting.

The easiest way to add an aftermarket amp/sub to the system would be to get the feed directly from the factory sub at the sub, or find the sub output wires at the amp, use a line level converter if your new amp doesnt take high level inputs, and be done with it.
I dont understand why you guys are messing with the CAN bus system at all, thats just asking for trouble.

Last edited by Eracer76; 03-24-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Eracer76
It does matter if you splice RCA's backwards, even if you do both the same.
The center wire of the RCA is positive, the outer is ground.
If you get them backwards, its just like wiring your speakers backwards and your added amp/speakers will be out of phase with the stock speakers.
So if your adding an amp/sub, and still using the stock speakers/sub, they will be canceling each other out and you'll be getting less bass then you could be getting.

The easiest way to add an aftermarket amp/sub to the system would be to get the feed directly from the factory sub at the sub, or find the sub output wires at the amp, use a line level converter if your new amp doesnt take high level inputs, and be done with it.
I dont understand why you guys are messing with the CAN bus system at all, thats just asking for trouble.
Thanks for the advice about the RCA cables, I just wired them up, but after reading your post, I have the center wire as negative, so I have to go swap them around...

Why the CAN bus stuff? I DID not have the factory amp with my factory set up, and I was trying to ADD the factory amp, which needs the CAN bus wires to work. but now I am not using the factory amp at all, and just running another amp to the factory sub, using RCA cables for the imput on the amp, splicing the rear out wires with the RCA cables to go from the head unit to the amp.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

got it all working smooth now!! used a Bazooka 500 Watt Mono amp mounted under my driver seat, remote wire off the driver side cig lighter, amp input from the rear output on the deck, and it sounds A W E S O M E ! ! ! i'm so happy with it! Thanks for your help through this week man, I'm just glad it's over....
Old 03-24-2007, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats on getting it worked out....
Sorry, I didnt realize you were trying to add a factory amp and sub to a Jeep with no factory amp and sub lol

Your best bet is to do just what you did, and use an aftermarket amp spliced into the factory head units speaker outputs.

BTW, Im a mobile electronics installer with over 10 years in the business, so I'll be in here trying to help people when I can

I cant wait for my Jeep to get here so I can add some tunes to it

Quick Reply: Can Bus Stereo Wires??