Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Calling all Nexus 7 owners that use it for jerping.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup no go. Totally different from what im lookin at. Lol

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was able to put in aome PIDs...oil pressure was a no go. One of the PIDs for trans temp didnt work and the other gave me a reading of -40.

-40C is the same as -40F.

Thoughts?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Blue
Yup no go. Totally different from what im lookin at. Lol

If you have a Pentastar, yes, completely different. You have a filter cartridge instead of an external filter. Maybe you can find the oil pressure switch and put a T-connector there for an oil pressure sender, then go from there.

As for entering PID codes: No idea. I'm happy with what I'm getting from the Torque Pro software as is. Would be nice to have engine oil temp, but don't think that's actually monitored. Would love to have someone prove me wrong. LOL.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah that peasky pentastar. I haven't had time to even tighten my suspension yet! If anyone has put an oil pressure or temp on the pentastar or PIDs to put into torque id be honored if you could share. Lol

Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay so... I just got off the phone with my dealership, who I trust very much. The guy in the parts department said that the 2012 Wranglers have a coolant temperature sensor, and oil pressure / temperature sensor. No transmission temperature sensor. I asked him if the oil pressure / temperature sensor read out as a good / bad or psi reading to the ECU, and he said he did not know. I got transferred to somebody in the service department who said it is not, I repeat NOT a good / bad switch, it sends out psi and temperature readings to the ECU. Service said that it screws into the back of the block, so I'm not sure if he meant under the manifold behind the oil filter canister like what was previously mentioned or not.

But also, the parts department guy said that it is a "knock" switch, & I do not know what that means.

So now we just need to figure out how to put in the proper PIDs into torque, so we can get those readings.

Last edited by Arctic Blue; 01-16-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm pretty sure someone posted up recently that he was getting auto tranny temp on his Nexus 7. But, it may have been a '13. I know that there were some upgrades to the readouts you can scroll through on the dash for the '13s. Just don't know when sensor upgrades were occurring.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know I can't scroll through any readouts on my dash (2012), and I have the 6 speed manual trans

Last edited by Arctic Blue; 01-16-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did my first expedition today using my N7 to navigate. I covered terrain that I had never been to before and I was very pleased with how it worked. I built the route in Google Maps after dropping some Lat/Long pins at the main points of interest, then exported the custom map out as a KML file. Then I imported the KML file into Backcountry Navigator Pro as a new map and was good to go. I had previously downloaded the map area in BN Pro so I didn't need to do that again. The trip included state highway, county dirt road, and small one vehicle width track.

I haven't mounted the N7 yet as I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do that. I like the Vector mount but for my 2013 the current version won't give enough support (per a conversation with Vector.) They are working on a newer mount that looks like the 2010 model and is a sturdier mount but its not ready still. I think I want it mounted so it hangs right in front of my radio face in a vertical position.. I'm worried that the other mounting points that I have seen will have more movement than I'd like and I want something that won't leave any permanent marks. Today when I needed the reference the tablet I opened it up and sat it on my leg. It will do for now but I'll continue to look at other options.

Thanks for everyone that has given info and feedback about using this tablet in the Jeep. Its given me some really good ideas and has saved me a fair amount of money. I was convinced last weekend that I would be buying a Garmin and am happy that I'll be able to use that money towards something else on my Jeep list.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Junkie

A friend of mine found this great mount from the Ram mount people, it attaches using the passenger seat's left front bolt.

then they have mounts to fit anything and everything including the Nexus tablets

RAM POD I WITH 1.5" SINGLE SOCKET 24" LG

I got the same mount and mounted my iPad mini and an iPhone right next to it...

they are for monitoring my gopro cameras, I can see the picture in realtime, plus I can stop/start recording via wifi to save space but mostly to make editing much easier...before I'd have 3 gopro's just running all day and I'd just swap batteries

it worked, but editing was a huge job, 3 cams x 6+ hours of footage.

Matthew
Old 01-20-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I sure would like a back up camera for everyday use. I saw on xda some people had cameras. Maybe better off getting a cheap radio with back up camera capabilities. Still studying before I dig in. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Calling all Nexus 7 owners that use it for jerping.