Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

CACR (Cheap Ass Chinese Radio) Install

Old 11-25-2010, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CACR (Cheap Ass Chinese Radio) Install

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...hmentid=104904

I've almost finished my install of one of those cheap chinese radio's. Even though they are cheap, i'm really enjoying it. Had to cut away a bit of the bezel so the rotating display wouldn't jam (as you can see, I still need to clean up the top edge a bit, bottom came out nice and clean) and almost gut behind the original radio (cut away top of radio opening and remove metal support bracket) but other than that the install went good.

The radio has 7" touch/rotating screen, CD/DVD, Navigaion, IPOD, USB, Bluetooth, plays MP3's, MPEG video and the bluetooth does calls and plays your music from a bluetooth device.

I've been using a chinese distributor for Inkjet continuous inking systems and some are now carrying these to be shipped directly from china (took only 3 days to get mine).

Some sites are:
.lightinthebox.com[/url]
toptraderz.com[/url]

I've bought from both but lightinthebox does do some free shipping. Mine cost $245 and that included shipping.

Last edited by mkjeep; 11-25-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: re edited
Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting head unit. Just curious:

1. It shows to be a Double DIN unit, so why is it necessary to trim the center console cover?

2. Have you tried the GPS software? Is it detailed enough? How is it working out, and are upgrade maps available?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it is a double din but since the LCD screen extends in and out, the edges would get caught and it would jam. I only needed to trim off about 2mm on the top and bottom for it to clear.

As for software, it runs Windows CE so garman, route66, TomTom, or iGo will work. It came with iGo8 which is very detailed. Even does 3D maps with buildings.

The non WinCE part of the radio (BT, SD card, Radio, etc.) has ugly graphics but some are already working on a ROM to clean that up.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

How cheap is cheap?

Your bezel looks pretty bad.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

I went to the website lightinthebox.com and saw many double dins for ridiculously low prices. I have to think they are too good to be true. Have you had any problems with your unit? Can you post some pics of the other operating screens on it?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
How cheap is cheap?

Your bezel looks pretty bad.
Doesn't look that bad but I do need to file down the raw edge on the top left like I did to the bottom. I'll post a new pic when I get it cleaned up, just havn't had time.

The prices are real and so far the only problem that i've had is the time on the non gps OS won't set, its stuck at 3:55am.

I'm finding out more about these everyday and it seems that they have two operating systems. The one that runs the NAV is Windows CE 5.0, the other side is a cheap chinese ROM. That is why they have two SD card readers, the chinese side does the music, DVD player, IPOD, TV, etc and the other does just the GPS navigation but you can throw music, pics, videos and such on the same card because the Windows CE portion also has a player. The Windows CE portion has already been hacked to where some guys have been able to actually run WinCE apps on it with a bluetooth keyboard.

I'll post some pics of it in action later.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpudNuts

Doesn't look that bad but I do need to file down the raw edge on the top left like I did to the bottom. I'll post a new pic when I get it cleaned up, just havn't had time.

The prices are real and so far the only problem that i've had is the time on the non gps OS won't set, its stuck at 3:55am.

I'm finding out more about these everyday and it seems that they have two operating systems. The one that runs the NAV is Windows CE 5.0, the other side is a cheap chinese ROM. That is why they have two SD card readers, the chinese side does the music, DVD player, IPOD, TV, etc and the other does just the GPS navigation but you can throw music, pics, videos and such on the same card because the Windows CE portion also has a player. The Windows CE portion has already been hacked to where some guys have been able to actually run WinCE apps on it with a bluetooth keyboard.

I'll post some pics of it in action later.
Thanks for the info. I'll be interested to see it in action.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd rather have the stock radio that bezel looks bad stereo looks ok though
Old 12-07-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, i've cleaned up the bezel a bit and here are some pics. A few are kinda blurry but I don't claim to be a photographer. The menu with the circles is the chinese operating system and the menu that, well, looks better, is the Windows CE menu for the nav. I did find out that if you use the nav side SD card reader for an MP3 player, its a better GUI but then you don't have nav and music at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070018.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	107858   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070015.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	107859   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070014.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	107860   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070013.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	107861   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070009.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	107862  

Old 12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a few more.

You need to also understand, this isn't a Pioneer, Alpine, or any other brand name. As a matter of fact, you'll notice, it doesn't have any name on it at all....lmao

You can see in one picture that the time is 12:55, it has changed on its own from 3:55am to 12:55am and I still have not been able to change it to the right time. The time received on the GPS is correct once it gets a fix and that is pretty quick. I think I have been able to fix on 9 sats.

Plays DVD's fine but fast forward and reverse isn't very clear but once you click play, it's clean. Resolution is great for the price and it also comes with connections for external monitors (head rest) and a backup cam.

Oh, and one more thing....ya'll just need to give up the ghost on the bezel thing. Sure it isn't perfect and the flash on the camera makes it stick out but day to day, you can't really notice. I really don't get it though, your Jeep gets scratched up, muddy, some rolled over in the hot tub or down some trail, tree branches scratching down the side of it but hey, at least your bezel looks good right?....lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070009.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	107863   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070002.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	107864   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070003.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	107866  

Last edited by SpudNuts; 12-07-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: CACR (Cheap Ass Chinese Radio) Install