Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

C123F and C1240 Jeep Wrangler JK

Old 07-08-2024, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy C123F and C1240 Jeep Wrangler JK

Hi Everyone,

I recently had the ABS Sensors replaces because my jeep was having some brake issues.

The ABS Light finally was off but I the Traction Control light was still on.

I was told to do an alignment, so I did but I had to change some sway bars prior to the alignment (thank god I did not had a Rubicon).
I finally did the alignment but the traction control light is still there.

I was told I the codes are C123F and C1240.

I wanted to know if somebody had the same issue before and was able to solve it.

Thank you,

BajaJK
Old 07-08-2024, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

going to ask the obvious questions first. The steering wheel is perfectly straight? There has been zero work to the steering gear at all? You have tried to clear the codes and they come right back? I would clear the codes and then I would start troubleshooting. the C1240 is saying the steering angle sensor has overtraveled. That certainly should not come back right away before moving the steering wheel. The other code would be what I'd want to see if came back immediately or not. I suspect it would not, so then it would be little troubleshooting driving and turning to see when exactly the lights are flagging. If you have a jscan or something that can read live data you can monitor the live data for steering angle sensor.
The following users liked this post:
BajaJK (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Steering gear has not been worked on. The steering wheel is straight. I think the steering angle was not reset when the alignment was performed. Some times the light would go off but it would come back up once I turn the car on again.

Old 07-08-2024, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Those alignment guys are doing VERY little. The only thing they would have done is loosen the drag link turnbuckle and twisted it just a touch to move the steering wheel to center. Typically when we'd see these codes is when someone has changed a steering box or messed with their intermediate shaft that runs to the steering box, and the actual steering wheel gets off a rotation from where it should be and that angle sensor realizes it (the intermediate shaft only fits on the steering box 1 way). Do you have the Jscan app? I'd be curious what the live data is reflecting the steering angle to be currently. the codes just came out of the blue one day along with ABS codes? I'd probably try to do a steering angle reset as a starter here. Never done one myself ( no need) but if you google you'll see what a few folks do.

Quick Reply: C123F and C1240 Jeep Wrangler JK