Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Buzzing when using Sirius Satellite

Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing when using Sirius Satellite

Got my 2013 a few weeks ago. I have noticed that the front left tweeter gets like a buzzing static sound when using the satellite radio. It is quite apparent when changing stations and there is that lapse of no sound as well as when something is playing and the volume is at 15 - 20.

IT does not seem to be happening though when playing anything off the HD, or a USB.....so to me that would rule out the speaker.

Any suggestions what may be causing this?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually had my tweeter replaced by the dealer for this issue. It DIDN'T help. I have a 2012 with this same issue and it drives me crazy because all I listen to is satelite radio. It also gets louder as your radio gets louder. I'm not sure what the solution is. I figured they would have to start tearing into a bunch of shit to figure it out and it wasn't worth it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hoghd06
I actually had my tweeter replaced by the dealer for this issue. It DIDN'T help. I have a 2012 with this same issue and it drives me crazy because all I listen to is satelite radio. It also gets louder as your radio gets louder. I'm not sure what the solution is. I figured they would have to start tearing into a bunch of shit to figure it out and it wasn't worth it.
yeah that is not good to hear. IT definitely get a lot worse when it gets louder, and is quite apparent when listening to say CNN or something. Debating on taking it in to be looked at but don't want the whole dash torn apart.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joey0480

yeah that is not good to hear. IT definitely get a lot worse when it gets louder, and is quite apparent when listening to say CNN or something. Debating on taking it in to be looked at but don't want the whole dash torn apart.
I have the same issue in my 12, they replaced it and it's still making the sound.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is real noticeable even when placing the ipod. I did the 77kick10 upgrade this week and as I was cranking the volume the noise between songs was pretty bad.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joey0480
Got my 2013 a few weeks ago. I have noticed that the front left tweeter gets like a buzzing static sound when using the satellite radio. It is quite apparent when changing stations and there is that lapse of no sound as well as when something is playing and the volume is at 15 - 20.

IT does not seem to be happening though when playing anything off the HD, or a USB.....so to me that would rule out the speaker.

Any suggestions what may be causing this?
It's either a speaker grounding issue or possibly a diode failing in the alternator.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

It only happens when Sirius satellite is playing for me. The first dealership I went to said it was a " Chrysler defect ". He brought around a new grand Cherokee and it did the same thing
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hoghd06
It only happens when Sirius satellite is playing for me. The first dealership I went to said it was a " Chrysler defect ". He brought around a new grand Cherokee and it did the same thing
That's sad. Totally unacceptable.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it is a defect, they need to get a TSB out for this. I assume it is some kind of interference with the satellite receiver.

I don't have this issue at all when playing off the hard drive. I can crank it to 30 and no noise.

With satellite anytime I get around 18 and above it buzzes....and that is a royal annoyance when listening to CNN or ESPN or the likes.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks. You would almost have to narrow it down to a head unit issue, right? Is there a separate external receiver for satellite under the dash somewhere, or is it built into the the head unit?

Quick Reply: Buzzing when using Sirius Satellite