Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

bulb upgrade for Hella 500 driving lights.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bulb upgrade for Hella 500 driving lights.

Hi all,I just bought a set of Hella 500 driving lights off amazon for $47.00 shipped.I have heard/read that I can switch out the 55w bulbs for 100w bulbs..is this true or will I burn up something?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grab a H-3 HID kit from ebay and install it into them you will be 100 times happier.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
I grab a H-3 HID kit from ebay and install it into them you will be 100 times happier.
Probably but I just wanna know if regular 100w bulbs will work and not screw something up.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone??
Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Well the 100w will get hotter and the lens of the Hellas is glass . But the housing is plastic and if it gets hot enough it might melt it... But I have done this before without any issues...They will be brighter but not as much as you would expect...

You know you can convert them to HIDS for about 60 bucks right?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
Well the 100w will get hotter and the lens of the Hellas is glass . But the housing is plastic and if it gets hot enough it might melt it... But I have done this before without any issues...They will be brighter but not as much as you would expect...

You know you can convert them to HIDS for about 60 bucks right?
Thanks for the reply I know I can get the HIDs for that much and they are alot brighter I just don`t want to spend 60 bucks then 40+ for shipping.Thats total B.S. thats why I only buy off e-bay if I HAVE to.I will just get new bulbs,60-85w locally with no shipping for alot less.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swanni06
TI just don`t want to spend 60 bucks then 40+ for shipping.Thats total B.S. thats why I only buy off e-bay if I HAVE to
That isn't worth getting worked up over; just like anywhere else look at the total price. Who cares if the seller is trying to avoid some of the ebay auction fees (apply to sale price not shipping) and make a little more?

As to running 100W bulbs in an enclosure designed for 55W bulbs; unless someone comes back and says they've done it, I'd be careful. I had an issue with an overwattage bulb in a motorcycle a long time ago in which the bulb heat melted the socket.

If you try it, make sure you're using appropriate gauge wiring and probably at least a 30amp relay since you'd likely be at over 2/3 the rating on a 20amp relay. Then keep a close watch on the components to watch for overheating.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpb
That isn't worth getting worked up over;
I`m not getting worked up over it..just not paying some douche 40 bucks to ship me 2 bulbs that only costs 5 to ship...I know they try to get their "money back" raising the shipping but if you gotta screw ppl out of money by lying..don`t sell it there.I like Amazon waaay better..shipping seems reasonable

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
wouldn't u need to up your relay?
I asked that in the original starter post

Last edited by swanni06; 02-03-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would be more concerned with melting the wires. Running 100 watts in the factory housing with the factory wires is too much. I would consider using Silverstars or philips lights before increasing the wattage.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gpb
That isn't worth getting worked up over; just like anywhere else look at the total price. Who cares if the seller is trying to avoid some of the ebay auction fees (apply to sale price not shipping) and make a little more?

As to running 100W bulbs in an enclosure designed for 55W bulbs; unless someone comes back and says they've done it, I'd be careful. I had an issue with an overwattage bulb in a motorcycle a long time ago in which the bulb heat melted the socket.

If you try it, make sure you're using appropriate gauge wiring and probably at least a 30amp relay since you'd likely be at over 2/3 the rating on a 20amp relay. Then keep a close watch on the components to watch for overheating.
I got my HID's for $60 total that's including shipping.. But there is more than just bulbs in the HID kit there are 2 ballasts wires and brackets as well. The $40 for shipping from most of the sellers on there are for overnight shipping from Japan as well. $40 overnight from Japan is dang cheap!

I now have 6 kits installed on our 2 mustangs and our JK and I have never had one fail or burn out. I have owned the kits for 4 years now. Like I tell everyone once you have HID's you will never want to use halogen bulb again....

Quick Reply: bulb upgrade for Hella 500 driving lights.